• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Passport Renewal

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I just sent my passport off for renewal. Although it doesn't expire until April 2024, the timing for our upcoming trips meant the latest I could wait would be after returning from Budapest in mid-June, and I'd need to have it by the beginning of September. I wasn't willing to risk renewal during the busy summer months, but I hate having to "lose" nearly 18 months of validity, even though the new passport will be valid until I'm 80!

Edited to add: I don't need my passport until the end of May, but I'm still nervous about how long it will take!

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry, but you can always pay a little extra for expedited processing.

Ours also expire in 2024 but in mid January. As I don’t trust the system I too am renewing early this week as will be needed again for June. I’m mailing overnite express to them and expedited return. Hopeful the holidays don’t cause a delay.

Peter Greenberg said the average renewal time is 3 months!!! I hope he's wrong! The travel.state.gov website says 3-5 weeks for expedited, and 6-9 weeks for Routine.

I found a page on the official site where you can track the progress - but that still doesn't tell you how long each step will take.

Now I'm nervous, even I don't need it until the end of April. And it seems we just missed the chance to renew online - it was a test-tun, and they stopped it in October!

I missed the test run by just a few days otherwise online would’ve been great !!
3 months is crazy ! I know someone who renewed recently and it only took 3 weeks . I wish we could just walk into renewal sites like ages ago and walk out with a passport . I just renewed my italian passport at Italian Consulate Miami last week and it took 20 min and I walked out with new passport!! Easy!!

Hi, I renewed my passport in September. It took 17 days for my new passport to arrive. I paid for the expedited service because I needed it in Oct.

Like you, I needed to renew before expiration (the passport number changes).

I sent in my passport and renewal application, expedited, USPS Priority Mail. It was delayed getting to Pennsylvania, my renewal city. After more than 10 days, the USPS showed it still sitting in the distribution center! Yikes! Well, after a few more days with that status, I looked up my renewal and it was already being processed. So, don't freak out over postal statuses unless you don't see your renewal with the US Passport office. My new one arrived within 2-3 weeks, I think. The old one came a couple of weeks later.

NOV 23 UPDATE: I'm now in the system! My passport was received on 11/15, one week after I mailed it, and is showing as being processed. They say to allow 6-9 weeks. My checked has been cashed.
They don't take 6 to 9 weeks to get their money! :D

Another update. As previously posted, I mailed my passport on 11/9 and it was received on 11/15. YESTERDAY (12/28) I received this email:

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 11/15/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested routine service when you applied. Routine service can take 6-9 weeks. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply at a local acceptance facility.

Your application locator number is XXXXXXX.

If you are traveling within two weeks and have not received your passport, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (or TDD/TTY 1-888-874-7793) with your application locator number.

Yesterday was SIX weeks since it was received - I'm not complaining about the renewal time, just commenting on how long this acknowledgement took. The only good thing I can say is that it's still in the system (I hope).

Last edited:
That is so weird as I received the almost same email on Saturday but it didn’t make any sense because we received our new renewed passports about 3 weeks ago and the email said we should receive them 12/09/22 which we already did !
Start to finish was less than 3 weeks and arrived expedited which we also paid for.
I also mailed them overnight express mail as I was worried they’d get lost.
My concern is the old ones were not returned arriving separately as stated in the renewal package.
Good luck!!

Just out of curiosity I checked the State Dept website this morning, figuring that something had triggered the email. My passport showed still in process.

Just now I received an email saying that my passport was shipped to me!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina