• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2018 No. 43 - Something Odd/Unusual

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 43 – Something Odd/Unusual (I think we’ve all seen something a bit odd/unusual while traveling and felt compelled to photograph it. I thought it would be fun to share them.)

A Photo Hunt 2018 category is available on the Media Gallery.

This week’s photos really put a smile on me. Wonderful choices for the theme.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Week of November 4, 2018 – Photo Hunt No. 44 – Round/Circles
Week of November 11, 2018 – Photo Hunt No. 45 – Military
Week of November 18, 2018 – Photo Hunt 46 – Feast
Week of November 25, 2018 – Photo Hunt 47 – Surprise
Week of December 2, 2018 – Photo Hunt 48 – Clouds
Week of December 9, 2018 – Photo Hunt 49 – Cook/Cooking
Week of December 16, 2018 – Photo Hunt 50 – Frame/Framed
Week of December 23, 2018 – Photo Hunt 51 – My Special Place (What travel destination holds a special place in your heart.)
Week of December 30, 2018 – Photo Hunt 52 – Favorite 2018 Travel Photo (Post your favorite 2018 Travel photo)

During a drizzly day exploring Machu Picchu this tourist found an unusual but creative way to stay dry.

Reactions: SMJ
Old Town Square, Prague
May 2005

7enHVxsg3VnJ9Qf0papvSuloyUiXFyn86ekG8CefKf2A5pHlstmyX9kL7NCygmCL63kKzr0lM14Ls_1Yt5gfvOZnHvFPoHwqraCGmYIHWRPKWZnm9oofTJUq0Vt9ILiPZU1nWRejC-x0SJ1PLBFKcwuxYgZAm1WQVlDiDpF54Ro7DbwqIQAMHLezCtF6AVm06BTBbjPCD5i9Q3zyd6Rl5x6m_-O3uJIr1yffDYouodX6_qgbD1u80GrnNEcH5Hy7xbaTblcv3K1WwxlSZM4j97tWp3L8WFMX7qg67dRzcVisV1weVB79zB0zcTceWcl1QBCqs9bFY_DHibXO97rgoaQ8O7SX4bnD7ZTLz8nXMl9RbJLtyqiWDhTA6vw_BrZjH-B1IAR1D6TIVyi2zGnYzJH51SpwXycpJW5t4_0rQoflhaFt1ONsr4zrBrWyQ6uNiUws09rqoBMBp4aMChjKJJ7ViZci16SmYLhr7fGTPmFM-fPd2RUUPeaHu80QBA5B-KaFQQuYkAEMiv1i2fvHbNKhyGyf_k2fuBqmreGl952oHfGRy8bfWdhng4pEDaK9JxJvmFTk2CAJva8AkKhihkBaDgQRsCyERfRlJUOwv4dn4COrGzdlAzd61kY7XpPViBUOL4poeQVaKl0TPhPlhaCJ=w1600-h1200-no

I'm intrigued by the pictures - is this a case of differential erosion with harder rock on top with softer rock being eroded underneath?

Yes, that's exactly the case Eleanor. If I recall correctly, there are a few hundred of these formations spread over a relatively small area. There are some nice trails and a picnic area at the reserve.

As one enters the Porto Antico in Genoa this modern work of art greets all that may pass by. Odd and unusual do not begin to describe this work for me. I am not real sure its placement in this beautiful harbor is where I would have staged it, but never the less it stands guarding these historic docks.

GenoaStatue.jpg

This is the 'wall of heads' in the Underground Temple at Tiwanaku near the shore of Lake Titicaca in Bolivia. It is a pre Inca settlement and was a very important regional centre.
Screen shot 2018-10-30 at 19.22.57.png

Screen shot 2018-10-30 at 19.23.06.png

Each of the heads is different. No-one is quite sure what the significance of the heads was. It has been suggested that they may be representations of local tribes, the heads of enemies defeated in battle or representations of gods of cultures defeated and absorbed into the Tiwanaku empire.

Some heads are carved from paler stone and are usually lopsided. It was these that Von Daniken thought were ‘astronauts’ in his book “Chariots of the Gods”. This became quite a cult book when it was first published in 1968 and puts forward the hypothesis that the technologies and religions of many ancient civilisations were given to them by alien astronauts who were welcomed as gods.

Wow. The recent photo makes the boat look like it is on a moored on the side of the street.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina