• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt No. 16 - On the Road

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 16 (Week of April 22, 2018) - On the Road

A Photo Hunt 2018 category is available on the Media Gallery.

The beauty of natural light peaking through the clouds during the Golden hours of the day or lighting up rooms through windows and laced curtains, down a cool spiral staircase , down a beautiful fjord and onto beautiful tiled walls. Light generating from a flickering candle or shimmering off of a Canal in Venice are also beautiful. What a wonderful collection of beautiful light. Thank you everyone for sharing.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Photo Hunt No. 17 (Week of April 29, 2018) – Wine
Photo Hunt No. 18 (Week of May 6, 2018) – At Night
Photo Hunt No. 19 (Week of May 13, 2018) – Jewelry
Photo Hunt No. 20 (Week of May 20, 2018) – Walking
Photo Hunt No. 21 (Week May 27, 2018) – In Memory Of
Photo Hunt No. 22 (Week of June 3, 2018) – Boat/Ship

As a traveler I prefer to rely on public transportation, however, for my trip to Scotland in 2009 I had to rent a car and drive to some of my must see destinations. I went on Youtube and did some research for tips on how to drive on the left side of the road and how to drive on single track roads. But as you can see in my photo of the week, I had to also learn how to drive around groups of sheep crossing and walking along the road who did not seem to be in any hurry. This was taken on the Isle of Sky in the Highlands. Fun times.

Gorges du Tarn
May 2006

fullsizeoutput_620c.jpeg

Not strictly a road, but a bus shelter. This is Bobby's Bus Shelter, again on Unst , and Britain's most famous bus shelter.
Screen shot 2018-04-22 at 16.13.21.png

You can read about its story and history here. The locals are very proud of the shelter and the display/contents vary from year to year. There is a visitor's book to sign and usually a tin of biscuits.

We change the location of our accommodations every 3-4 days to keep the amount of driving on our day trips as low as possible, but no doubt that having the ability to drive around in the countryside and stop anywhere and whenever you want - and deviate from a plan on a whim - is very enjoyable.

The Piemonte back-roads are very well kept, although the lack of shoulders can be a problem. We like to stop along the road for any number of reasons - a picnic, viewpoint, to taste some grapes or to rest - and here are three shots of our rented Panda on such stops from our last trip.

30219790402_954193264a_z.jpg

30219815962_e8677b5c5c_z.jpg

30303881536_08f47f843e_z.jpg

Many visitors to Iceland spend their time driving the 1332km long Ring Road, Highway 1, around the island. Most of it is surfaced. traffic is light and even in summer you can drive for miles without seeing another vehicle.
Screen shot 2018-04-22 at 20.16.58.png

In places where the Ring Road it cuts across the screes along the side of the mountains, it is fine gravel. If you stop the car and listen you can hear the stones tumbling down the slopes. Protective barriers only seem to be used in places where you would kill yourself if you left the road...
Screen shot 2018-04-22 at 20.19.56.png

F roads are gravel roads cutting across the interior of the island and can only be used by 4WD vehicles. These are closed by snow for several months of the year and are only re-opened once the road has dried out enough to allow vehicles along it without gouging out deep ruts. This section of road looks good, but in places the 'roads' are rough tracks crossing rivers and boulders.
Screen shot 2018-04-22 at 20.20.31.png

Kulusuk, East Greenland, July 2007
Screen shot 2018-04-23 at 15.16.59.png

Settlement in Greenland is restricted to the coast. There are a few roads in the settlement but the only connection between the different settlements is by sea (one the ice has melted) or air. Kulusuk is on the east coast of Greenland and is the main airport for the area. There is a narrow gravel road from the airport into the village, three miles away. Most people use quad bikes to get around.

...or moonscape, Joe. I understand the astronauts used to practice on the ice scraped landscape of northern Iceland.

Back to Scotland, this time the Golden Road on Harris in the Western Isles. The road runs down the east side of the island and the name 'Golden' is supposed to refer to the cost of building the road...
Screen shot 2018-04-23 at 20.45.23.png

This is a wild desolate landscape of bare rock with little settlement. The remains of old tracks can be seen in places leading to deserted crofts.
Screen shot 2018-04-23 at 20.45.40.png

So you are reading and half asleep after 5 hours in the car...
My wife looks up to see this...

road.jpg

Well, Colo: you have to tell us what happened next!!

My wife jumped and after a oh sh.....! I asked her to take the shot, I put on my blinker and passed the truck in tow.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina