• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt No. 22 - Boat/Ship

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 22 (Week of June 3, 2018) – Boat/Ship

A Photo Hunt 2018 category is available on the Media Gallery.

Remembering and honoring the people who mean so much to us, who dedicate their lives and/or who make the ultimate sacrifices for the benefit of others is something that we all have in common no matter what part of the world we live in.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Photo Hunt No. 23 (Week of June 10, 2018) – Small Town Stay (any wonderful small town stays you’ve experienced while traveling and/or while at home)
Photo Hunt No. 24 (Week of June 17, 2018) – Father
Photo Hunt No. 25 (Week of June 24, 2018) – Door(s)
Photo Hunt No. 26 (Week of July 1, 2018) – Celebrate / Celebration
Photo Hunt No. 27 (Week of July 8, 2018) – Fruit
Photo Hunt No. 28 (Week of July 15, 2018) – Action Capture (anything or anyone you captured in motion)
Photo Hunt No. 29 (Week of July 22, 2018) – Urban Landscape
Photo Hunt No. 30 (Week of July 29, 2018) – Something Blue

On a rainy day in Positano, Italy I watched these two locals with the help of three wooden boards move a small boat that was sitting on the beach to the ocean. It was fun watching how quickly they did this.

The boat that took us to the Lake Palace Hotel Udaipur. This is the next morning starting out across the lake to do some sightseeing.
51309C71-E73A-437E-8B3C-0B643EA9E037.jpeg

Screen shot 2018-06-03 at 12.44.43.png

Built in 1956, Nordstjernen on of the traditional boats on the Norwegian Coastal voyage, photographed here at Bodø in March 2006.

Cargo is still loaded traditionally by the derrick onto the fore deck (although the Traditional boats no longer carry cars). You could always tell when you were approaching port by the sound of the massive doors into the cargo deck opening .
Screen shot 2018-06-03 at 12.48.54.png

My son is in the Coast Guard and has served on a Cutter and Buoy Tender in Alaska, but he also had the privilege to serve 4 years on America's Tall Ship - the Barque Eagle.

He was part of the crew that sailed it back to Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg on the 75th anniversary of its construction. Christened by Hitler, the ship is now a training ship for Coast Guard Cadets. Great Tour if the Barque ever visits your town. My wife and I were lucky enough to make a transit up the Savannah River on the Eagle.

C_Ea-01C.jpg

Boarding in Savannah at the mouth of the river

C_Ea-02C.jpg

Our son in Baltimore for 1812 Anniversary celebration

C_Ea-03C.jpg

Eagle departing St Maarten, FWI

And yes you still have to climb the masts to raise and lower the sails.... (of course this is not my picture) 148 feet (46 meters) down!

eagle look down.jpg

Sarfaq Ittuk runs a ferry service up the coast of west Greenland in the summer months. It is mainly used by locals travelling up and down the coast but does carry a few tourists. The mobile ticket office is loaded on and off the ship at each port.
Screen shot 2018-06-04 at 15.33.56.png

Screen shot 2018-06-04 at 15.34.44.png

Some of the settlements are so small that Sarfaq Ittuk is unable to dock, so a small tender boat is lowered to carry passengers and cargo to the shore. This includes everything from grandma in her wheel chair to the baby in his pram....
Screen shot 2018-06-04 at 15.34.03.png

The bragozzo that I've had the pleasure of touring the Venetian lagoon in twice with Terra e Acuqa. This first trip my husband and I shared the trip with a couple from Chelmsford, England - at the time we lived in Chelmsford, MA, USA. My profile photo was taken at the same time of the street behind the gentleman in the photo on Mazzorbo.

1528157583680.png

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina