• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt No. 3 - Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
It was fun watching everyone’s “Dance/Dancing” photos.

This week’s theme (Week of March 19, 2017) is: Old

There is also a Photo Hunt 2017 category on the Media Gallery in case you want to put your photos in the media gallery first and then insert from there using the camera icon above the text box, into your post.

Future Themes (In case you want to start hunting for your photos):

Photo Hunt No. 4 (Week March 24) – Window
Photo Hunt No. 5 (Week March 26) - Quiet

Dating back to the 13th Century, the Eilean Donan Castle is very old and it is one of the most visited attractions in the Scottish Highlands. It is located on its own little island overlooking the Isle of Sky at a point where three great sea lochs meet. It was one of my must sees when I visited Scotland in 2009. It has been used in such films as the Highlander (1986) and James Bond-The World is Not Enough (1999). If you find yourself visiting Scotland, I would definitely put the Eilean Donan Castle on your must see list.

P_20150911_120639_1_HDR_p.jpg

Dijon, France. Musée des Beaux-Arts de Dijon, Fine arts museum in 14th-century palace. Dukes of Burgundys' former palace housing major collections of 14th-19th century western art

In my travels, I have been lucky enough to see some of the oldest manmade structures in the world, but nothing was like having a cigarette with this gentleman in a small mountain village on Kythnos, Greece. He was fussing because he did not have a match and his son standing next to him evidently would not get one for him. He saw me smoking and signaled me to come over. I was able to figure out from his son that he had celebrated his 100th birthday years ago.

(BTW – as of April 1st I quit smoking 11 years ago… but who is counting.) :D

OldCollage1.jpg

This tunnel along the original Via Flaminia (which goes from Rome to Fano on the Adriatic Sea) was hand-chiseled out by Roman soldiers and slaves over 2,000 years ago. It is located in the Gola di Furlo / Furlo Gorge in Le Marche, Italy. Second photo shows the original chiseling marks inside the tunnel which are still visible today. Third photo is of the beautiful Furlo Gorge itself. These photos were taken in 2011 when you could still drive the road through the tunnel. Unfortunately, in 2015 a landslide blocked the road and now you can only walk in to see the tunnel. Pauline has posted information and photos about a day trip to Furlo Gorge here on Slow Europe.

IMG_0986-1.JPG
IMG_0990-1.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina