• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo of the Day - June 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauline

Forums Admin
Bright sunshine today but yesterday was foggy and muggy. Standing on the promenade at West Bay, Dorset UK looking towards Eype, Thorncombe Beacon and Lyme Regis.

IMG_3289.JPG

The above photo was yesterday. Today is brilliant sunshine all day and 64F which felt hot!! We did a wonderful hike in the countryside.

IMG_1234.JPG

We walked through this valley to the hill on the left and then to the sea.​

IMG_1239.JPG

Later in the walk we came to this field of flowers overlooking the village of Eype.​

Spent the day at a wine festival in the lovely Virginia countryside... albeit, for a second I thought I better put down my glass when this gentleman rode by humming a lovely tune.
GlandWineFestivalC.jpg

We do a 5 mile walk from our house along a ridge to the next village and then home by another ridge. The last two times we have had to walk through a field of male cows (steers) and then climb over a rusted out gate, usually with the cows pushing at us as we are going over the gate (they are very interested in us). I have reported this to the council but nothing is fixed yet (we can report footpath problems on the council website).

On today's walk we had to turn back because the cows are now in the next field and can see us coming. This time the farmer has kept the cows back with electric fence, so we could climb the gate without them pushing at us, but we would have had to push our way through them to get into the field. We walked on the lane instead of through the fields. Pauline and Steve 2, cows 1.

IMG_1270.JPG

Good morning from the Northern Neck of Virginia

WP_20170610_001.jpg

The view from our hotel window.

It's a real heatwave (or what counts for one, here in the UK) at the moment: daytime highs of 30C/86F. So P and I took ourselves off to Cirencester Open Air Pool today (our closest one - and the only one I know which has a castle for a backdrop...).
IMG_4995.JPG

Is it hot? It looks hot!!

"Hot" - like everything else, Pauline - is relative... ;)
Today it was 40 C in the shade at the hottest.
The hike was only three hours in the early morning, and there was a breeze - so not bad at all.
One of the exceptional things about parts of this region is, that photos taken of a place in the winter and in the summer will look alike. An above-average rainfall can certainly make a difference, but only in places where there is vegetation.

40C is 104F - by anyone's measure, that is hot. We lived in Santa Fe NM for 20 years and it was desert-like. Lots of sun, snow in winter (but only deep snow for a couple of weeks), hot in summer (but only 2 - 3 weeks of temps in the low 90s - otherwise in the 80s). We had to go walking in the morning or it was too hot. Your weather is more like Phoenix! I have completely adapted to English weather. Temps in the 60sF are my favorite for walking. For me 75F or above is too hot for walking.

Today was overcast and cool at first but the sun came out during our walk. I thought the sky with clouds looked amazing today. This is from a footpath not far from us.

IMG_1554.JPG

Walking on a lane near Bridport.​

IMG_1557.JPG

You can see the sea in this photo from a hill that overlooks Bridport.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina