• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Planning for Venice - and Torcello?

Sandrac

100+ Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to make a short trip to Venice for a week at the end of August, if I can get some things wrapped up with work and studies in time.
I have been to Venice several times but am really curious to see how she looks right now when there are likely to be fewer tourists than what I've ever experienced!

As I'm planning, I'll have lots of questions but to start, Is Torcello highly recommended? I'm very interested in mosaics and i recall reading in the past that there are some gorgeous mosaics in the cathedral there.

Thanks!

Yes, I think now is an excellent time to go - I've seen some astonishing photos on Twitter & FB of places that are normally overrun, but are now almost deserted.

And yes, the Torcello duomo mosaics are unmissable! At both the apsidal east end, and on the whole of the west wall (a stunning Last Judgment). Do go up the Campanile, too (it was still in restauro on my last visit, but I did climb it around 15 years ago). And the walk from the vaporetto stop is wonderfully unlike the usual Venetian experience.

There's also a fabulous l floor mosaic on Murano, in the church of Santa Maria e San Donato. We went on a super guided tour there last October, with @Amy and Larry (she'd booked it, and will remember the details better than me). Sadly, the acque alte in November damaged (again) these mosaics, so I'm not sure how much of them you can see just now.

Hello Jonathan,
Thanks so much for these suggestions. I'm going to contact @Amy as well to find out more about that tour!

Cheers,
Sandra

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina