• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Flights Possible laptop/electronics ban for Europe flights to the US

Yes, while it's being called a "laptop ban", it's really a full electronic ban. Anything bigger than a cell phone would need to be checked.

My camera's battery is the size of a 9-volt battery, can't see why that shouldn't be allowed.

I've also wondered if they keep changing the story to keep the bad guys on their toes. :)

May 30 topic on the Homeland Security Website.

Sounds like it could happen at any time if warranted. I think I'm going to leave my laptop at home for June trip to Paris and July-August to UK.

"Finally, while a much-discussed expansion of the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin on flights to the United States was not announced today, the Secretary made it clear that the an expansion is still on the table. Secretary Kelly affirmed he will implement any and all measures necessary to secure commercial aircraft flying to the United States – including prohibiting large electronic devices from the passenger cabin – if the intelligence and threat level warrant it."

That's how I'm reading things as well.
I wish I had the option to leave mine at home. I normally don't travel with mine, but I'm going to have to do some work remotely on my next overseas trips and I have not choice. That's why I'm so obsessed about it. :)

I just have to decided whether to go ahead an purchase a crush proof case.

I've decided to carry an old iPad instead of my MacBook (too important and expensive to replace). Should the laptop ban happen while I'm in Paris (late summer, the UK), I can sign-out of my iCloud account on the iPad, then wipe it of all data. Since I synchronize on iCloud, if it makes it back home with me, I can restore the data. If it doesn't make it back, then I'm out the hardware, which at this point is valued at around $150 and the insurance on my credit card used to buy my flight will cover the loss. The most important thing for me is to not have someone crack my password and access my information.

I would be curious to know how you think your insurance would cover the loss Cameron. I can't imagine insurance companies happily paying out for all the devices that travellers caught in mid-trip by a sudden ban would be trying to claim for.

What specific section of your insurance policy do you think would cover it? Can you post a link or cut and paste the relevant part?

If you can't get your iPad onto the plane, it won't be 'lost or stolen' certainly. You will just have to voluntarily leave it behind. I would not expect any insurance to cover that.

To clarify, I would check a bag, with the iPad inside---not left behind, or seized by the government. Then, it would be considered a loss, if stolen from my checked bag. My CitiCard Gold provides losses from checked bags, unless American Airlines covers it as the primary.

WHAT’S COVERED

A checked or carry-on item is covered unless it’s included in the What’s not covered list below. We’ll cover the item’s purchase price (including sales tax), or the cost of repairing it, whichever is less.

The coverage provided by this benefit is secondary. This means if the Common Carrier or another source reimburses the Covered Traveler(s) for any expenses, this benefit will cover only unreimbursed amounts.

WHAT’S NOT COVERED

Coverage does not apply to the following items:

Antiques and collector’s items.

Traveler’s checks, tickets of any kind (e.g., for airlines, sporting events, concerts, or lottery), passport, visas, negotiable instruments, bullion, rare, or precious metals, stamps, and coins, currency or its equivalent.

Coverage doesn’t apply to any item that’s lost, stolen or damaged under these specific circumstances:

The Covered Traveler(s) is involved in a fraudulent or illegal activity.

The item is seized by customs or any government agency.

Ah, that makes sense Connor. Checked bags are covered for loss/theft. I don't know why but I envisioned the ban coming into affect and you having to leave the iPad behind. LOL

I guess I'll give myself a 'duhhhh' for that one.

The discussion on FlyerTalk seems to have quieted down. One hopes that the arguments against the ban from the EU side, such as that they might ban devices with lithium ion batteries from the baggage hold so no one could travel with laptops/tablets at all, are prevailing.

Something to keep in mind if there is a laptop/tablet ban in the future, is you can do a lot more on your phone than most people realize.

I was just working for a contractor that wanted a daily word document and spreadsheet filled out and emailed to him. Along with a weekly time card on a spreadsheet. I wasn't going to take the information home and do the work on my laptop on my own time. I talked to another guy and he showed me how he was doing these forms on his phone by going to the landscape mode and pinching the screen to zoom in and zoom out. After you do it a few times it starts to become easy. I was surprised.

For what it's worth, just in case there is a ban.

Well, I have no choice in this... I'm in Europe now-- with my laptop-- and won't be flying back to the USA until August.

However, in early July I'll fly from France to England and our return back to the USA is from England... so I'm not sure how this possible ban might involve flights from the UK.

I absolutely have to travel with a laptop for my work in Europe... I'm dealing with spreadsheets and word documents and need the larger screen, plus all the documents I'm working with. Of course I'm also using the internet, moving photos off my camera, editing photos etc. I do have everything backed up automatically on the cloud. But I hate the thought of my laptop tossed around inside a checked bag.

This will be a huge issue for international business people and others traveling for work... much more than it impacts tourists. I'm hoping that the large multinational companies, universities and others will get involved in helping to head this off.
Yes, many many people travel for business and need their laptops with them. In fact, (according to Ron), it is on long haul flights where the most uninterrupted work gets done. I can't imagine this being implemented. But then again, I couldn't imagine many things happening that have come to pass.
Will we soon be travelling nude just on the off chance that someone somewhere will smuggle some small item aboard?

TSA statement today:
(TSA) is implementing new, stronger screening procedures for carry-on items that require travelers to place all electronics larger than a cell phone in bins for X-ray screening in standard lanes. Following extensive testing and successful pilots at 10 airports, TSA plans to expand these measures to all U.S. airports during the weeks and months ahead.
[...]
The stronger security measures do not apply to passengers enrolled in TSA Pre✓® who are using TSA Pre✓® lanes.
We have Pre-Check but will be flying AirBerlin, which does not participate in Pre-Check, so we'll expect to be subject to this.

Here is the TSA list of airlines participating in Pre-Check. Our next overseas flight is on Air France, which is not on the list. I wonder if it makes any difference if the flight is a codeshare with Delta, which does participate. Of course, I realize it wouldn't apply in Europe, where TSA has no jurisdiction.

What I read on FlyerTalk indicates that the Delta codeshare doesn't help, if the operating airline is one that doesn't participate in PreCheck.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina