• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Post Your Most Memorable Pics of Italy

NoSpin

100+ Posts
We (Americans at least) are all so bummed out about not being able to travel to Italy, or the rest of Europe. I started reminiscing after seeing Cheryl’s (Italian Excursion) website and was going through my files to view photos from our traveling days.

I know it is torture, but I’d love to see others photos and maybe a little description, or even better, a story about what we are seeing. Multiple pics and stories are encouraged.

I would be willing to buy a gelato for whoever posts the best pic and story. Heck, I'll buy a gelato for everyone who posts a pic and a story!

I’ll start with a photo that Cheryl’s website photo inspired me. I’ll do this in my next post.

Also, I have less experience in France and other EU countries, but I do have photos and stories to share. So if some experts would like to post here or start a thread in other forums, I’m there!

Civita di Bagnoregio. Thanks to Rick Steves I was aware of this very unusual hill town. The walkway up to the town is of course relatively modern. One can only imagine the difficulty for centuries of walking up a dirt trail to reach the town.
20191211_114441_HDR.jpg
20191211_120500_HDR.jpg

We first visited the town in December of 2012 and returned in December of 2019. The town hasn’t changed, but it was a little more expensive. In 2012 there was no charge for parking and there was free access to the walking bridge. Now you have to pay to park in the lot and there is an admission to walk the foot bridge. Nothing exorbitant, but it is a sign of the times. It is such a unique town, I highly recommend you make a little detour to it if you have the time.

Pictured is the walk up to the town and the walk down from the town.

The town is very close to Orvieto and it was Cheryl's website that inspired me. :)

Wow, great idea Paul, thanks for the thread.
I was just going over photos myself, as we were supposed to be in Italy right now.

Difficult to choose from the many photos (you would have to buy me every flavor in the gelateria ;)), but I thought that I'd like to dedicate these to some of our most beloved agriturismi that we have stayed at.
These accommodations are a very significant part of what makes our vacations in Italy so enjoyable - the fantastic hospitality, the lovely meals, the tasteful renovations, and the fact that we can sit down with the owners and get a down-to-earth perspective of local life and realities. If we're lucky, they even let me work a bit, as we always choose active farms....
And of course small businesses like these are bearing the major brunt of the economic downsides of the pandemic.

So - only 5 this time, and I am adding a last one from the incomparable Salone del Gusto, commencing these days in Torino, but unfortunately this year mostly in virtual form. I urge anyone who appreciates quality foods of every kind and small producers of them, to attend this biennial event at least once. We last attended in 2016.

1.jpg
r0002808_30303036535_o.jpg
r0003059_29704754884_o.jpg
r0003166_30144985292_o.jpg
r0003421_30255153221_o.jpg
r0002893_29672944743_o.jpg

Last edited:
Civita di Bagnoregio. Thanks to Rick Steves I was aware of this very unusual hill town. The walkway up to the town is of course relatively modern. One can only imagine the difficulty for centuries of walking up a dirt trail to reach the town.View attachment 25623View attachment 25624

We first visited the town in December of 2012 and returned in December of 2019. The town hasn’t changed, but it was a little more expensive. In 2012 there was no charge for parking and there was free access to the walking bridge. Now you have to pay to park in the lot and there is an admission to walk the foot bridge. Nothing exorbitant, but it is a sign of the times. It is such a unique town, I highly recommend you make a little detour to it if you have the time.

Pictured is the walk up to the town and the walk down from the town.

The town is very close to Orvieto and it was Cheryl's website that inspired me. :)
Love visiting this little town. Warning, that bridge is one heck of a hike. Looks pretty easy in pictures, but we had a fairly young friend with us one time who had a bit of a heart issue, and he really began to struggle. Surprised to hear they are now charging.

This photo is what made me decide to not visit Italy in early September again!
Yikes!
Of course now, we all hope these scenes are a thing of the past.
And if you look closely, very few of these people are actually looking at and appreciating the fountain!

IMG_4583.JPG

Joe, I've thought about staying at an agriturismo. If we decide to do that sometime in the future I will definitely come here for some recommendations.

Sharon, I was going to mention that the climb up the walkway is more strenuous than it appears. I'm glad you pointed it out. All the more remarkable how people did it before the walkway. I forgot what we paid, but I looked it up and apparently it was 1.50 euros per person.

And if I can do two more....the Devil's Bridge, Borgo a Mozzano, Lucca Province (took life in hands to walk up narrow two lane road to find the right angle to get photo at about 11:00 at night). Second photo is the view from our front window at my wife's house in Tempagnano di Valdottavo (pleasingly near the Devil's Bridge).

IMG_1073.JPG
102895321_10219282632874620_5198748187224585714_o.jpg

Last August we rented a villa in Impruneta, just south of Florence, and one evening took our friends to Castello di Casole for dinner. We had stayed there twice previously when it was a Timbers Resort. They had since sold the hotel to Belmond so it looked a little different, but the standards were still as excellent as we remembered.

The photo is from the outdoor patio where you can have drinks and dine.
20190821_200219_HDR.jpg

These are memorable for the scant number of people - these were taken mid day. To be able to cross the Rialto without fighting hordes of people was surreal. Heading back home to Portugal today, but so grateful to have been here a week with no crowds.

Attachments

• 49249C47-E002-4311-8FDD-CCB78AA1D4F4.jpeg
    49249C47-E002-4311-8FDD-CCB78AA1D4F4.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 10
  • D66EFB92-23DB-4071-9868-729D6E88421B.jpeg
    D66EFB92-23DB-4071-9868-729D6E88421B.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 10
OK, here is a pic from 2014. We were staying in Montepulciano for a week and traveled all over. I have no idea where the Snoopy Bar was located, does anyone have an idea?

I was having the beer and my wife was having the Aperol Spritz (and that sandwich has me drooling).
DSC00443.JPG

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina