• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Puglia in May

italian excursion

100+ Posts
Have 3 or 4 days in Puglia for a few of my friends, post Umbria/Lazio tour. Recommendations for your favorite places would be most gratefully received. I look forward to what each of you found most pleasing. Must we have a car??? Is Bassilicata also possible in such a short time?
Grazie,
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

A car is pretty much needed to get around down here. Trains and buses aren't frequent, some places not served at all. (For example, Matera is the only provincial capital in Italy without rail service!)

I like the Valle d'Itria area of Puglia myself. The towns are lovely, there are things to see, good food, and the Adriatic is close by. Martina Franca or Locorotondo as a base, in my opinion. Polignano a Mare is a great seaside town to visit.

With only 3 or 4 days, it might be hard to see much of Basilicata from there apart from Matera, unless they split it up, depending on where they depart from. If they go back to Rome or Naples, a night in central Basilicata could work, stopping at Matera, then spend the night near Castelmezzano, which is truly beautiful. But depends on their travel style and overall itinerary.

We spent a week in Ostuni in Puglia last year. I liked Ostuni but if I were going back, I might choose Martina Franca as @Valerie recommended. We loved that town. For 3 or 4 days - lets say 4 nights - I would spend 2 nights in Martina Franca to see the Truli and then 2 nights in Matera because it is just amazing.

I second Castelmezzano - it is amazing too. We have some info and photos for it. Day Trip - Castelmezzano.

Yay, I was hoping the two of you would respond! Thank you so much. Actually, I'm part of this little group exploration, as I've not been in that part of Italy before, Valerie. I'm not fussy about lodging, just comfortable beds, clean and family owned. I will use the suggestions you both offer to plan this short trip....Most appreciated. And, if you have lodging suggestions for 5, maybe 6 women, would love to hear!

A trulli is a neat experience, especially for first-timers to Puglia, as they are so unique. I know Summer in Italy has some, and they may rent for less than a week. If not, there are some B&Bs that are nice. I'll need to check my list again. The one that I easily remember is the Albergo Diffuso in Locorotondo, because I love that concept, and I put clients there last year for 3 nights and they loved it.

Valerie booked us into this hotel in Matera and we liked it:

San Giorgio Hotel, Matera,
Via Fiorentini 259, Matera 75100
+39 0835 33 45 83 - +39 329 6111 995

We had a kitchen too.

More info on Matera - Day Trip - Sassi of Matera.

sassi_from_caves.jpg

A friend and I stayed near Galatina (about 5 minutes drive - I would say you definitely need a car to see the best of Puglia) some years ago. This, at the time was very much family owned - we got invited to have dinner with a family party one evening and at that time they did not do evening meals for guests but they seem to now. The owner was absolutely charming and always on hand. His wife ran a ballet school in the town and they were much into Alsatian dogs. When we left he insisted on driving to the motorway in front of us to lead us there as he was convinced two dotty Irishwomen would get lost and never find it!

I have always had hopes of going back there. You are in real Italian countryside out here at the villa. Villa Elizabetta I knew he had plans to expand and now see that he has created a really lovely looking place (If it is he, still there). If you do decide to go there I would recommend emailing him directly rather than going through booking.com as you will almost certainly get a better rate (he will most likely have to pay them about 15% per booking). We had a little kitchen (I am not sure he has that arrangement now as he has gone from 3 rooms to 6) but we didn't actually use it much. We found the situation perfect for exploring Puglia and Galatina itself is a charming little town.

Cheryl...
Here are some of the places on my list. I look for inns that have character rather than resorty types or overly boutique feeling (anything with those damn leather-covered headboards go off my list right away!)
Sotto Le Cummerse Albergo Diffuso - Locorotondo
Masseria Aprile Agriturismo - outside Locorotondo
Tenuta Odegitria - Martina Franca
Trulli Ceratonia - Martina Franca
Trullo della Seta - Alberobello
Relais del Senatore B&B - Polignano a Mare
Agriturismo Montepaolo - Conversano (My cousin stayed here and liked it)

Hope this helps! :)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina