• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Question about the Somme

DonPolo

10+ Posts
Hi,

I posted this in the France forum but so far haven't received any replies so I thought I'd try posting here and see what happens.

I'm looking for ideas for visiting the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux from Paris in July after the Olympics and will probably be travelling alone.

I've been told I could stay in Paris and get the TGV to Arras then join a day tour of the Somme and the memorial before returning to Paris.

As much as I love Paris, I was thinking I should really spend some time in the area since I speak French (passably well) and maybe it would be good to mix with the locals and see a bit of the countryside.

At one point I was considering taking a river cruise down the Seine to Normandy and the D-Day landing beaches but I was advised that Villers-Bretonneaux is a better place for Australians battlefield-wise. Not sure about tourist-wise though.

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

I’ve stayed in Arras and surrounding towns several times when driving from the UK to Switzerland. Arras is a nice town and has some WWI trenches you can visit. I have not visited them. Other nice towns in this area where you could stay while exploring WWI sites are Amiens and Abbeville. Of the 3, Amiens is my favourite.

I have visited the D-Day sites in Normandy. Bayeux would be a good base there, or Caen. Bayeux has the magnificent medieval tapestry also.

The Seine River between Paris and Normandy passes by some lovely places.

I did reply to your post on the France forum.

Hey there,

If you're keen on visiting the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux from Paris in July, staying in Amiens could be a good idea. It's close by and offers easy access to the memorial and other Somme sites. Plus, it's a great way to experience the French countryside and mingle with locals. Hope this helps!

We did a self guided tour of the WWI battlefields and memorials. We did a farm stay near Amiens and we had a car. It was a really emotional and moving trip.

00920011.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina