• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Questions about the northern Dordogne

Pauline

Forums Admin
A couple of years ago we spent a week in the Dordogne valley and saw the main tourist towns on the river, Sarlat and some of the cave art. I liked the area, but those towns along the Dordogne were very touristy and I don't feel the need to visit them again.

I am interested in the northern Dordogne, near Perigueux. Or any other towns/areas that people like in this northern section of the Aquitaine. I am looking for interesting smaller towns and villages, hiking, interesting historic sites. Any suggestions?

Pauline, I can't help you with Perigueux and the Périgord Blanc or further north in the Périgord Vert. I've heard that Brantôme is very beautiful, and that's a village on my list to visit sometime in the future.

We've spent a lot of time in Montignac on the Vézère River and in the area around Montignac. A lot of people do come through Montignac to get their tickets for Lascaux, and it's a bit of a center for shopping and a twice-a-week market. That said, there are some beautiful small villages in the area and a good network of well-marked hiking trails. We especially love the tiny village of Fanlac. I have a book of 38 hikes around Montignac that I've got here that I'd be happy to lend you. You could visit outside the main tourist season, also when it wouldn't be so hot. Or if you stayed in the north, maybe you could do a day trip down to this area for a hike.

Have you thought about the Lot? There's some pretty dramatic scenery there and also some good hiking.

Kathy

Pauline, I agree with Kathy that the Lot is an area worth considering. I believe Dana lives there, so maybe if she sees this she can add her thoughts. (Sorry, I don't know about the northern Aquitaine either.)

We stayed last June in Monpazier, which may actually be in the southern Dordogne, but it was much less crowded and full of tourists than the area along the Dordogne River.

The year before that we were in the Lot region, which was still less crowded (although we were there more off-season, in the fall).

We are no longer hikers, but I think there is plenty of opportunity for that all through the region. Here is a link to that topic on the Lot tourist website. [link no longer works - this is the main site http://www.tourisme-lot.com/ ]

Of course, as you are probably aware, the food in that area is pretty heavy toward meat, and not great for vegetarians. But there are lots of local markets, so if you want to cook at home, I'm sure you'd find plenty to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pauline, you mentioned in another topic that you were looking at going to the Lot, and I just wanted to say you might want to consider the house we rented when we were there. It was in a small village, very few tourists, but with everything we needed, and well located for trips around the area. It's not highly advertised, so I'll give you the link to the review I wrote on Slow Travel. House in Frayssinet-le-Gelat.

Thanks @Roz - it looks like a nice place and a good location. It is at the top of my short list. I like staying in a small town or village. Now I just have to figure out when we can go!

I have talked myself out of the northern Dordogne and will start a new thread for the Lot.

Several years ago we stayed in Salignac Evigues; a small village. The house we stayed in had a spectacular view of the castle and was really nice. You can see it http://www.vacancesfrance.com/vf/vf1528_fr.php at that site. Granted the photos make it look like 1970's revival, and some of the furniture IS. But the bedroom is huge - huge! Washing machine, great terrace overlooking the castle and it's quiet. Nearby sites to see: Jardins d'Eyrignac, Brantome, Turenne, Collogne la Rouge...

We also stayed in Penne D'Agennais. We stayed here http://www.gitesearch.com/gitedetail-little/1675 It's located at the bottom of an old village that doesn't have a lot of amenities, other than the fact that it is beautiful and the church is quite amazing. There's a grotto by the church and Richard the Lionheart's castle ruins. The gite is amazing for it's view alone. The "modern" village is a short drive and there are other places around for day trips.

Let me know if you're interested in more info on either.

Laura

thanks! I clicked on the link to the property in Salignac Evigues, and the French version came up. When I click on the English icon I just get the main webpage, and entering the property # doesn't work. I'm still struggling to figure out where to base, and if we need 2 bases, one for the northern Dordogne and another for the Lot.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina