• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article Religious Walking Trails in the UK

Pauline

Forums Admin
In today's Guardian there was an article about religious trails in the UK (No Religion Required, Britons Lace up their Boots as Pilgrimages Make a Comeback) but I cannot find the article on their website (I read the Daily Edition on my iPad). I am posting this here to remind me to find the link later.

The article talks about the religious trails in the UK and how they are being restored.

Here is another article about a religious trail in the south of England.

The Guardian - Walking to West Sussex: on a modern English pilgrimage, Nov 2016
Pilgrimages were once common in the UK. Now, a new trust aims to revive the tradition, in secular form. Alan Franks joins a walk from London to West Sussex to celebrate the song Jerusalem’s centenary

Pauline, you might be interested in this. Last year when we stayed in Marazion, I saw a sign inside the church about "St. Michael's Way," a pilgrimage route in Cornwall, just 12.5 miles long. (We saw signs for the trail on the other end at Lelant, on our walk along the SWCP from St. Ives.) https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/walking/st_michaels_way.htm

So we can check this out when we're in Marazion in the fall. This is apparently part of the Santiago di Compostela (explained in the link).
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG

I suspect a fair number of the long-distance walks are based on old routes that may have had some religious significance in the past, others may be themed around a particular saint or site more as a modern branding than an established custom, e.g., the Saints Way in Cornwall, St Oswald's Way and St. Cuthbert's Way in the north. One that is both modern and probably old is the Walsingham Way, or of course the Pilgrims' Way to Canterbury.

PS: Is this the Guardian article you saw:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ng-britain-ancient-routes-christians-atheists

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina