• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Reminiscing about our SlowTrav friends

Wow. Completely independent of Slow Europe/ST Marissa's blog is one I follow regularly. I had no idea she had been on ST. I made some of your recipes for a Memorial Day cookout - the Apple Crostini with Fig Jam and Pecorino in particular were a big hit.
Late to the conversation! :) Just seeing this, not sure why I didn't get a notification. I'm so honored that you follow Pinch and Swirl and that you enjoyed the crostini!

SHE IS ALIVE... (Young Frankenstein Movie)
Thought that was appropriate on Halloween ;)

Made that recipe quite a few times since the original post and in fact tried it with many different wines...
Godello from Spain or Asyrtiko from Greece are the winners in the wine department. Big fan of Godello so I will say it wins.

Still following along on your food blog and loving the recipes, but I think it is time for you and Keith to head out on another extended trip. I ready for Marissa and Keith - 65 days in Spain.

Happy Halloween

Oh my, I've met so many people from the early ST days; the list will be very long! Some, have become friends for life, some have passed and I still think of them with affection. I love that my friendship with Pauline and Steve is still intact and they are now my main reason for visiting England. Shannon Essa, who is the "Traveler Extraordinaire"; Jane & Ken, Barb n' Art; finally got to meet Gulia da Urbino in person this fall, when I stayed at her lovely agritourismo; Carl & Margaret Pheiffer (Carl was a lurker on ST, never posted but he contacted me for some referrals and we all became fast friends); Alison Kurke; Jan Gita Keshan; Sharon Johnson; Nancy Hollowell; Wendy & Rob, Krista & Steve, Marsh Battin; Amy Gilman, Marta Rojas; Brenda English; Judy Witts Francini; Deborah Horn Johnson; Colleen Alley, Linda Martinez.....There are more and I apologize for not recalling all as there were many GTG's, many years ago.

Then, there are the folks I have met through another level of networking, friends of the travelers above or some sort of connection; or the online travelers who I've communicated with over the years, like Jim Zurer, Rebecca Winke, Chiaro di Luna, Anne Woodyard, Hope Alexander, Mary Goudie, Gail, Ann, Cameron, Valerie, Kathy Wood, and have never met in person! Again, there are more but I'd be here for days! The list goes on......

I had wonderful friendships with both Nancy Lytle and Martha King, who are deceased but my memories and some art work of Nancy's keep them alive for me.

Thanks for bringing up the topic!
Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

I was just thinking about @Roz and "her driver" Mike.....
I'm still here, Mindy -- thanks for thinking of us! We haven't been traveling much lately though -- as we get older, it's just so hard to manage those trips from the West Coast. We would love to get back to the Boston area sometime though, and if we do, we'll be sure to be in touch!

Just got back on the site from many years away. Met Pauline and Steve and Shannon at a ST GTG in San Diego years ago , before Shannon wrote her book. Also met up with Jim Zurer in Sicily

I seem to recall a similar conversation some years ago because I had the fun of reminiscing about all the friendships I had made through Pauline and Steve. Sadly, a couple of the friends I made are no longer with us, Nancy Lyttle and Martha King, both of whom I met together in Florence. But I've had the great pleasure of seeing Pauline & Steve in England; Shannon in Italy and San Diego; recently had dinner with Wendy and Rob in San Diego. I got to spend a few days at Julia's in Umbria last year which was wonderful. Barb & Art and I had lunch in Orvieto not too long ago, too. It was good to connect after such a long break. I sometimes work with Erica of Sapori & Saperi which is great fun for me. Her tours are amazing! But many of my FB friends who I have been to GTG's with years ago, I see only on social media. That, of course, is great but only one dimensional!

Thanks for the thread. It's always fun to be reminded of my travel friends!
Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

And Mindy, Freda Cameron and Kathy Wood last month. Also David Ronis! It’s been a social summer.

I'm so excited to be able to travel again :) I miss my ST buddies! Heading to Sicily with Shannon and Grapehops Tours in October (rescheduled from last year). Trying to find time for forums again as I am trying to plan my days in Rome pre and post tour. I forgot how much fun planning a trip is!

I'm still friends with so many of those I met on ST and love getting together with different ones when traveling. Such a wonderful community Pauline & Steve gave us!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina