• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Information Restrictions to enter Italy

The tour was with Insight Travel and is the issue. As part of this, however, I did have air reservations with Egypt Air and have not gotten word yet as to whether there will be any refund or credit for those unused tickets.

So far this summer, have had to eat rail tickets for Germany/Italy transit; got the choice between refund or credit from United Airlines for my Italy tickets (May) and have the same option when it comes time to cancel my September trip; got refund for my Berlin Pass tourist package; ate the cost of my Egypt visas. I had a number of hotel reservations in Germany and first night/last night in Italy that were "non-refundable" offers, but all of those were canceled without any issue.

The May United tickets were purchased last November for about 1/3 of what I normally pay, so feel like I took a huge hit since the next set of tickets I buy will be at normal (or higher costs). The Insight quoted price for 2021 is a whopping 40% over the canceled trip's cost. I booked through Pavlus Travel and have the option of applying my credit to Uniworld, Trafalger, Brendan, or other Insight trips -- haven't looked at anything yet to see if all vendors have similar increases in Egypt trips.

Next up is an Alaska cruise in May and then redoing the Italy/Germany trip for May and the Italy/Egypt trip for September. Any bets on whether any of these happen??

The tour was with Insight Travel and is the issue. As part of this, however, I did have air reservations with Egypt Air and have not gotten word yet as to whether there will be any refund or credit for those unused tickets.

So far this summer, have had to eat rail tickets for Germany/Italy transit; got the choice between refund or credit from United Airlines for my Italy tickets (May) and have the same option when it comes time to cancel my September trip; got refund for my Berlin Pass tourist package; ate the cost of my Egypt visas. I had a number of hotel reservations in Germany and first night/last night in Italy that were "non-refundable" offers, but all of those were canceled without any issue.

The May United tickets were purchased last November for about 1/3 of what I normally pay, so feel like I took a huge hit since the next set of tickets I buy will be at normal (or higher costs). The Insight quoted price for 2021 is a whopping 40% over the canceled trip's cost. I booked through Pavlus Travel and have the option of applying my credit to Uniworld, Trafalger, Brendan, or other Insight trips -- haven't looked at anything yet to see if all vendors have similar increases in Egypt trips.

Next up is an Alaska cruise in May and then redoing the Italy/Germany trip for May and the Italy/Egypt trip for September. Any bets on whether any of these happen??
I am hopeful for your 2021 trips, Alpinista.
My husband and I had to cancel our 2 week trip to Tuscany in April...my 70th birthday trip.
Then my daughter and I had to (twice) cancel our annual mother/daughter trip to Canada...it would have been our 27th straight trip there without a missed year, but the US/Canada border understandably remains closed. This would have been the first trip with her 9 month old daughter...our first grandchild.
We are now looking to cancel our Christmas trip to England...our entire family was planning to spend the holiday in Oxford with our daughter’s in-laws.
So goes 2020...hoping and praying 2021 brings an end to Covid-19 and a return to a new normal that allows the travel that we all cherish.

Last edited:
Cancelled our trip to Milan and Piedmont in September last week.
All lodgings were refunded. Airfare - received a voucher form American good though the end of 2021,
Milan Duomo and Last Supper tour refunded.
The flight was booked through American, but is actually on British Airways. So I need to see if BA will refund the seat assignment costs.

This was a few days ago from the Italian Health Ministry.

This quote at the end is why Americans may have a long wait to be permitted to enter Italy:

"However, there are still numerous hotspots of varying size in almost all of the regions and many of these are caused by people coming from countries of a high coronavirus incidence".

Just an FYI on latest in Italy from the health ministry: COVID 19

As we battle people being lax about the requirements this summer we'll have to see if anything changes in September - masks in all enclosed areas or where 1 meter can't be maintained and no non-essential travel from North America or Australia.

Cruises within Europe OK starting next week?!? :confused:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina