• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Shoes/Boots For Walking in England and Wales

When we went to Scotland last September, I wore my Clarks "Wave Walk" walking shoes. They're sturdy and provided good traction and arch support for all the walking we did. (If we had been hiking mountains, I might have chosen boots.) The bonus was that the shoes took up less luggage space than boots.
Can you insert your own (custom) insole in these? Or would that defeat the design of the shoe?

Can you insert your own (custom) insole in these? Or would that defeat the design of the shoe?

Barb, there is a thin insert that can be easily removed. It is about 1/8 inch thick at the toe, and 3/8 inch thick at heel. Maybe you could order from Zappos or Clarks and try inserting your insert.

Glad this question came up. I was wondering the same thing myself. Nothing can ruin a day like cold wet sore feet. I'm due for new hiking boots anyway so I'm looking for a light weight water resistant pair.
On the same topic, should we have water proof/resistant pants? We will of course have rain jackets. Our trip is the middle of September.
Long range forecasting falls under tea leaf reading but yesterday's Times is predicting the remains of the year will be colder and wetter. The Atlantic version of el Nino. Gulf stream has shifted much farther South so weather is coming down from the North.

Bought 4 pairs of sandals from Hoppers in UK. Adjustable straps throughout. This is a must for me because my feet can change 2 sizes in a day. Just in the top of the foot swelling not the actual length. A shoe or sandal that is fine at 10 am will be literally cutting into my foot by 4 p.m. Relatively attractive and so far in the past week with about 1 to 2 hours of walking a day extremely comfortable. They have a layer of memory foam in the insole. Don't know how durable that makes them but definitely makes walking in them a pleasure.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina