• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Sicily in April or September

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We're considering 2 trips next year, and 2 time periods. One trip will br Sicily/Malta, and the other will be Croatia/Slovenia. The two time periods are mid-April and mid-September.

Logistically the Croatia trip would be better for us in September, and I think the weather will be good then too, hopefully the worst of the heat will be over. So, is April too early for Sicily? Being further south it seems like (theoretically!) the weather should be warm enough. Any thoughts, or something I've overlooked?

April in Sicily looks like having very comfortable temperatures. No experience myself, but here are the graphs for the last three years. The average mean looks to be around 16 C. Of course, temps higher towards the end of the month, lower at the beginning.
And don't forget the freakiness of climate change.
Source (you can play around with the data a lot) :

s a 22.png

s a 21.png

s a 20.png

Your initial thought is the way I would instinctively lean as well. Warmer location in April, the other in September.

If staying on 'mainland' Sicily, I really can't see any issue, and even if wanting to visit the smaller islands, the services should be up and running (excepting any exceptionally bad weather - in which case, not a lot of fun anyway!) in April.

For September, that should also bring you the delight of mushroom season in Croatia and Slovenia, albeit a little early for their truffles.

We were in Sicily for 12 days this year, from April 24 to May 5. The weather was cool and pleasant most days - usually between 65 and 72F. The warmest day we had was around 75F (in Agrigento). It did rain a couple of days during the time we were there. A bonus to being in Sicily mid-April to early May is that there will likely be lots of wildflowers blooming in the countryside. There certainly were when we were there this year!

We're considering 2 trips next year, and 2 time periods. One trip will br Sicily/Malta, and the other will be Croatia/Slovenia. The two time periods are mid-April and mid-September.

Logistically the Croatia trip would be better for us in September, and I think the weather will be good then too, hopefully the worst of the heat will be over. So, is April too early for Sicily? Being further south it seems like (theoretically!) the weather should be warm enough. Any thoughts, or something I've overlooked?
We're booked for the very tail end of April/early May in Sicily (our first trip there), but I think even early April would be perfectly fine. Sicily goes all-in for Easter, much more than the mainland, so we opted to avoid Holy Week and Easter for our trip. I think the key question is whether you want to embrace or avoid Easter, which falls on 4/9 next year.

For now we've decided to drop Sicily/Malta. We have a Danube Rive cruise planned for the end of May, and I'm not sure how quickly we'd bounce back from jetlag and travel fatigue if we traveled in April. Although we'd both like to visit Sicily, neither one of us was devastated when we made the decision. Hopefully we'll get there one day.

The Croatia/Slovenia trip is still on for September, and we plan to take the train from Venice to Umbria for an additional 5 weeks. I'll need to book our flights into Dubrovnik and out of Rome. with higher fule prices, plus an open jaw flight, I'm scared of the price! How far in advance do you thnk we should book those flights? I'm thinking March.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina