• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

SIM Card -- I'm not convinced due to phone number change

Cameron

500+ Posts
Because I have two-factor authentication on everything from FaceBook to my banks, I can't see how I can use a SIM card in another country due to the changing of the phone number.

When I login for the first time from an unknown network, all of those accounts will text a one-time authentication code to my cell phone number. If I no longer have that phone number, then I can't get the code. I'm talking about traveling with my iPhone only -- no other computer, no iPad with me.

Since I won't know the phone number of the SIM before I buy/install it, then I don't see how I could ever login to these accounts while in another country. If I'm wrong, please let me know what I'm missing.

While it's not cheap, I use Verizon TravelPass, which allows me to use my data and minutes as though I'm home, with my permanent cell phone number. It's $10 per day, but only on the days I use it while abroad. My only limit is my Verizon account, but I have a 5gb per month rollover, so that's never an issue.

Thanks.

For the same reason, I am holding off using two-factor authentication. We spend six months in Europe annually and my US prepaid cell service does not work in Europe. I need to access my accounts while traveling. I use my laptop in the apartment, never the phone, to access accounts when in Europe.

My brokerage account has a deadline of Sept 5th to set-up the two factor authentication. What to do?

I do have a couple of European SIM cards that I keep active from year to year - Italian and Belgian.

I wish Verizon would adopt a more fiscal friendly international plan. I have Sprint...my husband has Verizon. Sprint charges me $25/week to use my phone just like I am home when traveling abroad...plus I have unlimited data. And it automatically prompts me to accept the plan as the plane lands. My husband seems to have to pay so much more when we travel using Verizon.

I wish Verizon would adopt a more fiscal friendly international plan. I have Sprint...my husband has Verizon. Sprint charges me $25/week to use my phone just like I am home when traveling abroad...plus I have unlimited data. And it automatically prompts me to accept the plan as the plane lands. My husband seems to have to pay so much more when we travel using Verizon.

I agree -- I wish I could use Sprint. I can't get their signal here at my home, so I had to switch from Sprint to Verizon. Even then, they had to provide me with a signal booster for my house. I'm in a heavily wooded, university land area, where there are no towers.

Like boarding my dog, I now consider cell phone/with unlimited data/minutes, as part of the cost of traveling.

I wish a SIM would work for me, but I can't function without using my regular cell phone number.

If you can use T-Mobile, they also have a great international plan. But their coverage is not as wide as some others. Worth checking though if it's been a while since you tried it, since they always seem to be expanding their coverage area.

You can get a Google Voice number and use that for your two factor authentication number.

You can also set up GV to email you any text messages as well.

I don’t get a SIM for my iPhone but I could as all my 2FA goes to my GV number. I use the SIMs, which give you a lot more data than they used to only a few years ago, in my iPad and use hotspot for my iPhone and laptop.

4g is generally more secure than WiFi, especially public WiFi like at a Starbucks. But it does have security vulnerabilities too. Some sites let you use apps. Like Google Authenticator for 2FA.

But I don’t think any of the banks do. Hackers have been known to fool telephone carrier employees to give access to the texts of someone’s phone and that’s how they hack 2FA.

When I travel though, I try to avoid doing online banking.

I do use bank apps. Though to check transactions, including ATM withdrawals in local currency. Those apps. Use Touch ID and I have no security concerns about biometric authentication.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina