• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Slowing It Way, Way Down

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Those of you who know us might have realized that our travel plans are all over the map, literally as well as figuratively. There are so many places we want to go, and we're constantly tossing around ideas of where, when and how. We had discussed visiting Ireland next year, on our way to Italy. And then we (I) changed our minds. We discussed visiting Norway, and trying to see more of Copenhagen because due to flight delays we lost 2 full days there last summer. And now we have our latest plan, one that may or may not happen, but one that we're trying to figure out: spending 6 months in Italy.

Recent developments in the U.S. have left us feeling frustrated, sad, angry and disconnected. We're not sure we feel 'at home' in the U.S. anymore. We're also not sure that we're up to a permanent move back to Italy - emotionally, physically, or financially, but if we can swing it financially, 6 months in Italy might help to ease our pain. Right now we have a transatlantic cruise booked for travel TO Europe in the spring, and another one booked for travel FROM Europe back to the states in the fall. The idea of spending the entire time in between (nearly 6 months) is tempting.

We know we can rent a nice-sized apartment for €500/month, plus utilities, which is doable. Extras like internet and television concern me, but we have time to do some research. I've been looking at Slingboxes, about which I know very little, and I'm trying to learn if there are other options that would accomplish the same thing. We don't need a lot of TV, but some U.S. news, baseball for Art, and a few shows in English would be nice.

Having a car is a big challenge - and a big expense. The Peugeot buy-back program looks like the best deal, but it's still expensive, and limited. Pick-up points are much more limited than your average car rental, and altho it is a long-term program, the limit is 165 days if the car is picked up outside of France (175 days if picked up in France). For us this means we'd have to return the car to FCO, then do a 'regular' rental for an additional 12 days. Total cost, nearly $4000, but that does include insurance and a zero deductible.

The biggest challenge for us is deciding if we want to stay beyond the 90 day limit without the proper visa, or if we want to go through the time and expense of applying for an ER visa. I'm very much a 'by-the-book' person when it comes to situations like this, but I have to admit that I'm torn this time - and tempted. But then I'm sacred we might be denied entry into Italy at a future date. So, more questions, more research.

Last edited:
What a great idea! We'll come visit you :).

For TV you can probably watch US things on the computer using a VPN to make it look like you are in the US. Attach the computer to the TV. I know nothing about watching sports but @Valerie 's husband watches US sports on the web in Italy. Or take up Italian sports! @Jim Zurer is the expert on TV things. Will you have a good broadband connection?

That is a lot of money for a car. We leased one for 6 months when we first came to the UK because we didn't think we were staying and it was expensive. Any chance of buying a used car and keeping it for a few years assuming you will do this six month thing again next year? I guess that gets more complicated.

The euro is low, so this is a good time to do this.

Yes, the car is really the biggest hurdle. You can't buy a car in Italy unless you have residency, and since this will just be a 6 month trial, that just won't work. Additionally the insurance is very expensive, an I don't know if it would be possible to discontinue it when we left Italy. And then we'd have to have somewhere secure to leave the car for 6 months, meaning even more expense. So - no matter how you slice it, having a car in Italy is expensive! Having someone else buy the car (and store it for us) would be another possibility, but that puts a lot of responsibility on the other person, and I'm not sure I'd want to ask anyone - or that anyone would agree!

The TV issue is still confusing to me - I don't even know what I don't know! Now I'll Google VPN to see what exactly that is!

I agree about the car things - not so easy. I wish you could lease older cars, making it cheaper. Do they still have Rent-a-Wreck in the US? We once rented a house in Los Angeles from the guy who started that company. They need one for Europe.

A VPN (virtual private network) is a program that you run that changes the IP address you are logged into the internet with, making it look to the internet that you are in a different location - to fool the programs that check to see where you are before deciding to show you content. Read more here:
http://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/how-to-watch-european-tv-in-the-us-using-a-vpn.736/
Yes, we used this way back when we lived in Italy, but there are probably a lot more choices now - which is both good and bad! So many choices, so many things to consider!

Getting a slingbox requires that we keep our cable services here in the U.S., which adds to the cost, so perhaps VPN is the way to go. I'm still not sure!

The biggest challenge for us is deciding if we want to stay beyond the 90 day limit without the proper visa, or if we want to go through the time and expense of applying for an ER visa.

I wouldn't take the chance of overstaying illegally. We have been spending at least six months in Europe but we split our time so that we are not overstaying.

We have also talked about my husband pursuing his Irish citizenship if we ever decide to migrate since his maternal grandparents were born in Ireland.

I think it's very risky to overstay... you wouldn't want to be fined or blocked from returning to the Schengen area for some extended period of time. We count our time very very carefully, but I know our situation is different as we can't take any risk at all.

I know you love Italy best, but there might be other Schengen countries that are easier to pursue for a long-stay visa?

If you want to do a year away and don't want to go through the process for an extended visa, maybe you could swap between the UK and the Schengen area. Do four three-month stays? Maybe one or two stays could be in a larger place with good public transportation where you don't need a car or could just rent for short periods. Just a thought...

I'm no help with the connection "hows". I know that my brother used a slingbox attached to a cousin's TV in New Jersey to watch the Yankees in Virginia for years, but switched to MLB.com a few years ago.

We'll be there from mid May until November, so I think MLB is the way to go for baseball. "Regular" television isn't so easy. During the summer months not much is on, but Art's still a news junkie and will likely want to watch the nightly news - which I'm guessing we can watch online - but I don't know if we'll need a VPN or not. I think we may have to wait til we're in Italy to make final decisions.

Hey, Barb, very exciting that you have made the decision and are going for an extended stay in Italy. How did you work out the visa thing? Also, am wondering if you might check with expats who live there part-time or travel away for the summer (heat gets too much for many of them) and do a house-sitting gig for someone. It may also include a car! I've seen that done before.
Good luck!
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Thanks for that idea, Cheryl. Right now we're still in the planning stages. I've got a car reserved with the Peugeot buy-back program, and our transportation to and from Italy. The visa process doesn't start until much closer to our departure, so no rush on that, other than getting our documents in order. Perhaps our paths will cross this summer!

If all goes as planned, sometime mid-May, but dates aren't in stone, yet. I always have time on my own when I've got tours, so that's a given!
Take care,
Cheryl

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina