• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

SlowTalk closes end of February

It will be nice to see some up to date hotel/vacation rental reviews. Many things over at ST were very out of date. Colleen and others did a fantasic job editing and posting them for us when they were active on the site. Many thanks to all who shared.

Pauline, I just ran out of time to follow ST at all. Will try to do better here as old-timer ST folks reassemble. But will probably do more lurking than contributing. ST has brought us two of the most special friendships we have -- AnnM & Sheena. We bonded at a PacNW GTG over food. What else?
Thank you so much Pauline & Steve for all the work you put in to ST. I hope Slow Europe is the phoenix that rises from the ashes of ST.

I changed my password for Slow Travel after this was suggested and then could not find it to post a thank you to all of the moderators once I found out Slow Travel was closing. Mahalo!! Also, thank you once again, Pauline for starting Slow Travel and for now running this new wonderful travel website.

The one thing I really regret is that we were all locked out of our blogs over a year ago. If I knew that Slow Travel was going to shut down, I definitely would have deleted all of my posts, especially anything personal. At least I was able to transfer everything. Some bloggers just lost everything!

Yay for this website! At least we can all meet here now. AND hello Doru! :)

You brought a lot of people together, Pauline. A truly amazing network of friends has been created ONLY because of you and Slowtalk/Slowtrav
I absolutely agree with Shannon, a dear woman whom I would never have met without Slowtrav/Slowtalk.

I didn't know Slowtalk had closed. I came here because I was hungry for a manageable chat site similar to Slowtalk where I met so many friends. Facebook is clumsy/overwhelmning/bigger is not better--I really dislike it. It also contributed to Slowtalk floundering.

So a huge "HELLO" to any of my old friends from Slowtalk who are moving here!

I changed my password for Slow Travel after this was suggested and then could not find it to post a thank you to all of the moderators once I found out Slow Travel was closing. Mahalo!! Also, thank you once again, Pauline for starting Slow Travel and for now running this new wonderful travel website.

The one thing I really regret is that we were all locked out of our blogs over a year ago. If I knew that Slow Travel was going to shut down, I definitely would have deleted all of my posts, especially anything personal. At least I was able to transfer everything. Some bloggers just lost everything!

Yay for this website! At least we can all meet here now. AND hello Doru! :)

Ciao Susan!

I think the slowtrav.com website might finally be really dead. I had links to some of my articles etc. on slowtrav on my European Experiences website, and I got a notice yesterday that I had "broken links," all on slowtrav.com. When I try to access slowtrav.com.... absolutely nothing.

Still so thankful for all the friendships made through slowtrav, the GTGs, the fun conversations, the travel help.

When I try to access ST, I get this message:
"This www.slowtalk.com page can’t be found
It may have been moved or deleted."

Thank you, Pauline, for the source of wonderful travel info, and even more important, the source of everlasting friendships!

Blessings on Pauline and Shannon and all of the Slow Folks who have made traveling slowly so satisfying. And "hello" out there to the dear friends we have made through the efforts of the moderators, the organizers of GTGs, the bloggers, the everyones whom we have met through your efforts to bring us all together in this troubled world!

I, too, am very sad to see everything gone. So many wonderful resources disappeared in a poof! Also, all the blogs are gone. I was lucky to transfer all the info from my blog before they became locked, but so many other bloggers have now lost all their hard work.

Thank you, Pauline for starting it all and now for Slow Europe. I am very grateful for all of the friendships I have made through Slow Travel.

I made a copy of all the blogs and Trip Reports (by using software that scrapes the website and makes a copy of each page). I also have all the articles. I could not copy the forums - they were too large. If anyone wants their content I can email it to them.

I am sad to see SlowTrav go but I hated that they never updated my out-of-date design and that they filled the pages with ads. I feel like they gave up on SlowTrav after a few years. I don’t know why. It was a great site and community.

I wish we could get all the old SlowTrav people here but Facebook seems to be taking over. IMO nothing beats forums for talking about travel.

Yes, I'm comfortable on forums whereas I'll never join facebook (or twitter, etc.)

I have some exciting news!! I discovered a way to get to the Slow Travel website with the help of our wonderful librarian from my town. I not everything can be found but quite a bit is available and perhaps you just have to keep trying different dates for more info. It is a little time consuming to find things (not just one easy click) but at least not everything is lost!

I will try to describe the steps with some added screenshots.

1. Go to the Internet Archive website

2. In the WayBackMachine spot at the top - type in the url - I put in http://slowtalk.com:80/groupee/

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 6.12.48 PM.png

3. Next, you will see a graph with years - slide it over to choose a year. Below the graph with the years is a calendar with dates highlighted.
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 6.14.09 PM.png

Info at the bottom of this archive page states: "NOTE: This calendar view maps the number of times http://slowtalk.com:80/groupee/ was crawled by the Wayback Machine, not how many times the site was actually updated."

4. After you choose the year & a date - voila! It's back!! :):):):)

It's definitely not perfect. Sometimes you get a page that says "This site can't be reached" - if you reload it, sometimes it works/sometimes it doesn't. BUT I have managed to play around with archive dates and have been able to find quite a bit of info on the site. Some pages are formatted a bit strange and you need to scroll down to find the info.

Here's a link to a date that seems to work pretty well - from there you can try navigating to other pages. Here's the full url for this link:
https://web.archive.org/web/2007110...k.com:80/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/862600685/p/1

Happy surfing!!

Thanks for tracking this down Susan. When we met with Massimo, who owns Rome is Home, he said he wanted to copy his reviews on SlowTrav but had not done it in time. I'll use this internet archive to get them.

If it is legal for Internet Archive to republish a whole website like this, then can I publish the complete set of SlowTrav trip reports that I have? I scraped them from the website last year, the same way that this Internet Archive does - a screensnap of existing pages. If anyone has any ideas about the legality of this, let me know.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina