• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Snow Hits Europe

Pauline

Forums Admin
Much of Europe has been hit by heavy snow the past day or two. The storm is called "The Beast from the East" because it is coming from Siberia.

In the UK, Scotland was hit hard yesterday and it continues today. Red Alerts for Snow for much of Scotland and northern England.

Today our area in the Southwest got a Red Alert for Snow. The Beast from the East is merging with Storm Emma from the south. In Bridport (Dorset, on the coast) it started snowing about noon and it has been piling up. This is only our third winter here on the coast but it is the first time we've seen snow. In the Cotswolds we had snow a few times over the years. There was a lot of snow in 2012 when we were living at the bottom of the Painswick Valley.

I've seen photos of snow in Italy - Basilicata, Naples, Liguria, Rome, Florence - over the past few days. Also in many parts of France.

Today, March 1, is the official start of Spring in the UK (they don't use meteorlogical calendar like we do in the US). There are warnings of natural gas shortages and they are asking some industries to not use gas. I don't think there will be problems for regular consumers. Flights have been cancelled at Heathrow and other London airports. The roads are supposed to be pretty bad.

Since the UK hardly ever gets snow, our infrastructure is not prepared for it. Trains stop running, flights are cancelled and most people don't have snow tires so driving is difficult (we don't).

It feels like Christmas even though that holiday is long gone.

BBC - UK weather: Snowy scenes as Storm Emma arrives

This has many names. The Swedes call it "the snow cannon", the Dutch call it the "Siberian bear", the British call it "the beast from the east" and the Russians call it Thursday.

It is fun to see the snow. We have a few inches piled up in front of our door. But, I grew up in Toronto in the 60s and 70s when they really got snow and cold. And 20 years in Santa Fe where we got big snow falls that usually melted away the next day (wonderful weather). And 1 very cold, snowy winter in Boulder, Colorado that Steve will never let me forget. It snowed and snowed and snowed. Several feet of snow in a day. And cold. So this storm is fun for me!

However, it isn't so nice for people who have to leave the house!

Nice to have the option to work from home, and it's been effective doing so this week, but I do miss the interactions in the office. Will head in tomorrow - I'm lucky as I can walk in.

We did not go for a walk on Friday, nor today (just because it is slushy and windy). Yesterday everything was covered in ice. I had to chip the ice off our walkway so I could get across it to walk on the grass (to fill the bird feeders). Today is the big melt. Temps are back up above freezing and it is raining. Now there are flood warnings for West Bay!

This storm really affected the country. In our area roads were not driveable for 2 days. Many cars were abandoned along the side of roads or left in car parks. Flights were cancelled. All seems to be getting back to normal now.

The pictures of snow in Venice are so magical. I saw a photo of snow on the Great Pyramids, first snowfall in 117 years....not sure if that is true or "fake news" but the photo was cool!

Mindy

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina