• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Some more TV series from the UK (upcoming and past)

PatrickLondon

100+ Posts
A new series of Shetland is starting soon, also a new series Collateral, which has some topnotch actors (Carey Mulligan, Nicola Walker, John Simm, Ben Miles among others) in it.

Also it occurs to me that there might be interest in the list put together in this thread on A Certain Other Site

We recently watched the 4 part series The State on Channel4 and enjoyed it.
"Award-winner Peter Kosminsky's compelling new drama, based on extensive research, follows the experiences of four British men and women who leave everything behind to join Isis in Syria."

LOVE "Shetland".
The books, by Ann Cleeves, are great.
She also wrote the" Vera" books that that series was based on.

Not really a travel related program, but I've just watched "Derry Girls" (it's on YouTube), a new UK series about teenagers in Londonderry in the early 90's.
Absolutely hilarious.

It's had a great success - sort of "St Trinian's meets Father Ted" (I think the perpetually unimpressed Sister Michael deserves her own show)

Collateral will be shown in the US later this year on Netflix....it is one more of the BBC/Netflix co-productions.

An ITV drama--Trauma--also started the same night. John Simms is in both shows.

I have recorded The State but have held off watching because of the subject matter--but I like Peter Kosminsky so I will give it a shot.

We did start McMafia last night and were pretty well hooked by the first episode....only 7 more to go. :)

Anybody watch Hard Sun or Keeping Faith?

On a more cultural note for Italophiles, the BBC is rebroadcasting her series about Rome this week and next

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0797yqk

and also her show about Julius Caesar....Julius Caesar Revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s0mxj

Happy viewing....

Anyone watching Maltese: The Mafia Detective on Channel 4? Looks intriguing.

Also, Season 4 of The Bridge (Bron/Broen) finishes it run in Scandinavia next weekend.....it should be on the BBC before too long.

I agree with you about Sister Michael Patrick! love the way she rolls her eyes and mutters.

I have recorded The State but have held off watching because of the subject matter--but I like Peter Kosminsky so I will give it a shot.

I too avoid this subject matter but I really liked this show. It was well handled and from a different perspective.

Anybody watch Hard Sun or Keeping Faith?

We watched one episode of Hard Sun but Steve vetoed it. It wasn't great.

Also, Season 4 of The Bridge (Bron/Broen) finishes it run in Scandinavia next weekend.....it should be on the BBC before too long.

My favorite show!!!

We did watch all of Hard Sun, but weren't sure it was really worth it. On Walter Presents (Channel 4), the Scandi-semi-noir Rebecka Martinsson series is pretty good. But, on the showing of the first episode, Collateral (mentioned by Patrick at the top of this thread) is head & shoulders above anything else at the moment: don't miss it!

Collateral -- plot line is great, but I found Carrie Mulligan's performance a bit flat, meaning, always the same expression, voice, tone, etc. That said, I was really engaged in the show.

On Acorn TV:

Girlfriends -- Season 1. Quirky, fun with shocking plot twists in every episode. "Phyllis Logan (The Good Karma Hospital, Downton Abbey), Miranda Richardson (Harry Potter films), and Zoe Wanamaker (Poirot) star in this addictive new drama from Kay Mellor, the BAFTA Award-winning creator of Love, Lies & Records."

Delicious -- Seasons 1 and 2. Filmed in Cornwall (during nice weather). Again, quirky, well-done, good acting. I liked Season 2 (just released) even better and binge-watched it last night!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina