• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Suggestions for Cotswolds please.

Za Ibrahim

Me and hubby planning a trip to the Cotswolds in between 22-27 April. We will be driving from Coventry. Initial thought is to stay in 2 places during the week and go for walks and drive from our hotel base. Will be heading straight to Heathrow on 27th.

Where are the best two places to stay at. Suggestions most welcome.

We loved staying here : https://www.xmascottage.co.uk/rates-availability but it has changed hands now and I'm thinking you are planning to travel during the busy Easter school holidays.
Personally I would choose one place to stay.
The honey pots will be busy but the Lygon Arms in Broadway has just had a major refurb with new owners although we used to enjoy staying at Russell's in the same town. A restaurant with good food and great rooms above.
I'll do some more thinking today.

Wendy

With only four days, I'd also recommend basing in just one place. You'll make the best use of your time that way. Depending on your budget, there are several options in Chipping Campden... cottages (maybe available for shorter lets at this time of year), B&Bs, inns, luxury hotels. There is some great walking from Chipping Campden and you'd be very close to the beautiful gardens at Hidcote and Kiftsgate. (Check open days for Kiftsgate.) You could even walk there...

Thank you everyone. Appreciate the recommendations and suggestions. Now to look for that one special cottage!

Will most likely look for a place in the south since we will be travelling to Heathrow for our afternoon flight.

B91A2DA5-7628-4B13-8BD3-974D7C20D8F8.jpeg

My favorite garden center is located in Burford!

It's well located, good walking from there too. I'd just say that it's a busy place, but probably wouldn't be as busy in April. Lots of shops, places to eat. We stayed there once for a few days on a walking trip. In the early morning and late afternoon/evening, it was great. Then the coaches arrived. But perhaps not so many in April, plus you would likely be away when others are visiting.

We definitely want to avoid anything that is too busy. And the tea-room in Burford is a definite pull factor for hubby.

The Cotswolds is a popular destination for British travelers as well as tourist from other countries but is busiest on bank holiday weekends and school holidays. It won’t be busy at the end of April.

Every town has a good tea room. Ask at the local tourist office or where you are staying for recommendations.

The only town that feels too touristy is Bourton on the Water. All the tour buses stop there. But it is still a very pretty town and people love it.

Stow is a pretty town and well located for seeing the north Cotswolds. So is Burford, Chipping Campden, Broadway and any of the nearby villages.

We were in the Cotswolds for New Years and stayed in Stow. This was our second time there and we love it. It was busy but not too busy and at night the tourists go home and it becomes a peaceful village again. Lots of great restaurants, Kings Arms!, and shops. It’s also close to so many things and an easy drive to Heathrow, which we did! Visit the Batsford Arboretum, they have every kind of Japanese Maple and flowers, it’s forgeous and also, be sure and go to Chipping Camden, beautiful place. Enjoy!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina