• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Suggestions for northern Italy

mismirr

10+ Posts
Hi, I'd been a slowtrav user for years, as a resource for various trips to Italy and France, as well as just enjoying living vicariously through others' adventures and discussions :). After a hiatus of a few years, I'm planning another trip, with my adult daughter, this time probably to northern Italy (perhaps a week by one of the lakes and a week somewhere in the prealps). Since we're thinking of this May, I know we have to focus because a lot of places are already booked, so I have my cut out for me!

Now for my question: if we are to base ourselves in two destination locations, about 1 week or so each, what suggestions do you have? We'd be happy for at least one of them (maybe the spot on the lake?) to be somewhere that we can walk to places such as restaurants, etc. But that's not crucial; we'll have a car to wander for the entire period. I should have done more homework before posting this initial query, but basically, if you were to choose two destination locations in northern Italy, one near one of the lakes and the other in the prealps, what would you choose? Or would you suggest something different? (We've spent a lot of time in Tuscany and Umbria, and though I'd love to return there I'm focusing now in this general area).

Hi mismirr. I will make no secret of the fact that I love the Italian lakes. My favourite is Lake Como, but I also like the others very much. I'm biased, though, because I much prefer lakes and mountains to beaches!

To me, the lakes are also the pre-Alps, but perhaps you have a different definition? I've always enjoyed Tremezzo and Caddenabbia on the middle of Lake Como, others prefer Menaggio, Bellagio and Varenna and I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

I personally love Varenna on Lake Como. We always stay at the little hotel, Albergo Milano. The owners are always on site, and the husband is the chef, while his wife runs the front desk. You can reserve for the dinner they serve each night. Room #1 and #2 are the best, each with a wonderful terrace overlooking the lake. We prefer Room #2, as it seems a bit larger. Breakfast is included, and served on the large deck on the main floor overlooking the lake. You can email them at hotelmilano@varenna.net. The Ferry is close by, where you can reach most towns all along the lake. There is a wonderful restaurant right behind the hotel. Reservations are a must.

Hello Mismirr ! For sure Lake Como is one of the best places to stay, maybe is better for June, but also September is a good season! Then if you have a car you can move in the Langhe Valley. If you are a outdoor lover this is a perfect region, wine known in all the world and the best restaurants ! A lots of paths links the most beautiful medieval villages likes Barolo, Monforte and La Morra ! I live here and if you want I can help you to give you some advice!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina