• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Humble Brilliance of Italy’s Moka Coffee Pot

joe

1000+ Posts
A nice article on this fundamental kitchen pot for coffee lovers, that is now losing its place. We have two at home, and even a large bag of beans for it from our October trip to Bologna. We bought the beans at the Caffe 14 Luglio, where my wife had her morning coffee and pastry, and I watched that corner of the city start its day (I bought a great bag of organic English Breakfast tea at Mondo di Eutepia in the same city, but that's another story...).
I was quite surprised to see the posh Nespresso machine and pod stores in Bologna - one of the reasons, apparently, for the decline in Moka pot sales....

Hi Joe
Yes I've noticed them as well. I'm not a fan of pod/nespresso, but I wonder whether some B&Bs feel obliged to get them for their foreign guests. I'm perfectly happy with a moka pot, and a few B&B places simply warm milk rather than trying to froth it, which is again fine with me.
Nespresso makes a decent enough cup, though I genuinely believe I see a discernible difference between that and a proper machine, plus on top of that is the additional cost / lack of flexibility in being tied to pods. Locally we have 3 great roasters in the city, plus another shop that buys widely to offer a wide range of different coffees. Giving those up to switch to nespresso would not be an option I'd consider.
Regards
Ian
p.s. we reduced our mokapot collection down to 2, from a high point of 5. The smaller one has even been to Italy with us, after a couple of places had poorly kept moka pots, but in recent visits, all have been good in the apartments we've stayed.

I used to buy moka pots at the end of an Italy trip. I now have three of various sizes. Haven't used any of them in about a dozen years. ;-)

Our smaller one is in almost daily use (for decaf), whilst the Rancilio Silvia handles the full fat coffee

I used to buy moka pots at the end of an Italy trip. I now have three of various sizes. Haven't used any of them in about a dozen years. ;-)

I used to buy them at the start of each trip, after looking inside the one provided in the vacation rental! I don't use them now. I swear by my Jura coffee machine (and miss it when we travel).

We have several in different sizes. When we were in Sicily last April i purchased a cute little one for a mere 7 euros. It had s eooden handle and a see through top. I loved it. Sadly it just fell apart. But I got my 7 euros worth.
I saw the article awhile ago and felt sad. I love the mokas.

I used to buy them at the start of each trip, after looking inside the one provided in the vacation rental! I don't use them now. I swear by my Jura coffee machine (and miss it when we travel).
Love my Jura machine, too! Even took it with us for a 2-week holiday. Ny car, of course.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina