• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Vatican By Train

I did this with my parents in November! It was rather cool, sort of an "exclusive" feeling thing. Even though the actual Vatican track is very short, it was still kind of exciting. The day is pretty regimented and we ended up skipping the Vatican Museum altogether since they give so little time (and we've all been in other times) so went on to the garden meeting place. They do have it pretty well organized to skip the line, then go get the audioguide and map, then on to the next step. Unfortunately it wasn't a great weather day (cold, off and on rain, and terrible wind in Castel Gandolfo) but we enjoyed the experience, and the private gardens at Castel Gandolfo are impressive.

DSC_0925.jpg

DSC_0922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We did this last May, and it was great, even terrific. We had wanted to do it in the spring of 2015, but missed it. Unfortunately it was pouring the day we took the tour, and I do mean pouring.

So, we did do the Vatican museum and everyone on the tour agreed to shorten the garden tour and headed to the train. Yes, it is kind of an ' exclusive' feeling going out of the Vatican train station, what we considered a real treat. When we reached Castel Gandolfo some people got off the train and then the rest of us continued to Albano.

From there we were all supposed to take the open (little tour) train to see more gardens, but Rob and I opted to do the tour inside of The Popes summer residence (which had not been open when we stayed in Grottoferrata a few years ago). After which we found a warm and dry restaurant looking out over the lake.

A great day even if the weather did not cooperate. As a matter of fact we are seriously considering taking the tour again this coming May.

We highly recommend doing this full day tour, well worth the relatively inexpensive experience. Wendy and a Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina