• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Weather in Europe this Summer

Pauline

Forums Admin
We are having great summer weather in southern England! That is why I have not been on the forums more - we've been out hiking. This feels like a real English summer. Last summer we had a hot spell for about 2 weeks in July - a bit too hot. This summer the sun is out and the temps are in the high 60sF and low 70s. It is cooler in our area, so a few degrees warmer in London and up in the Cotswolds.

Not much rain which is good for visitors but is taking a toll on my garden.

Two people from the forum are taking @Kathy 's Return to the Cotswolds Tour next week and we are driving up to our old stomping grounds to meet up with them. I was considering continuing on to the Wales coast after that, but probably can't get it organized in time. We are trying to expand our hiking area in Dorset and Devon, driving out to new areas instead of only doing our favorite local hikes.

How is the weather where you are? Or where you are traveling.

Last edited:
It’s a warm one, to be sure! We arrived in Toulouse, France two weeks ago to 40C! We made our way to Bagnères de Bigorre, in the foothills of the Pyrénées-Atlantiques where it was a bit cooler, but not cool. Right now, in Sare,Pays Basque it has been pretty warm, but tolerable. Today (28-29) cooled down to be a refreshing and lovely evening.

You're in Sare ! Please give my regards to Mme Suhit.
We were in Nice for 2 weeks, just came home last week.
THe weather was warm and nice until the last 2 days when it hit 31°, 32°.
This is what you do if you encounter rainy weather (which is rare but could happen) or a heat wave on the French Riviera, go to the Oceanographic Museum in otherwise ugly Monaco, a beautiful setup created by Jacques Cousteau in an old palace, with a glacial interior temperature. What not to like.
We came home to Paris to a more severe heat wave, but it did not last.

I wouldn't have noticed this if not for the fact that my daughter just returned from a short vacation there a month ago : a freak 20 minute gale with 100km/hr winds kills seven tourists and causes severe damage to the Halkidiki area in Greece. A state of emergency was declared there.

Last edited:
You're in Sare ! Please give my regards to Mme Suhit.

Bien sûr ! This gîte is a treasure, I thought so the last time we were here and this time I find it even more so. Madame is well, except for the knees, and as welcoming as ever. Merci for the recommendation!

The possible connection between Europe's heat-wave and climate change, from the "Nature" journal :

"For one group of climate scientists, the event presented a rare opportunity to rapidly analyse whether the heatwave — which made headlines around the world — could be attributed to global warming. After a seven-day analysis, their results are in: climate change made the temperatures reached in France last week at least five times more likely than they would be in a world without global warming. "

“Climate models are missing something when it comes to capture fairly short-lived heat events,” says Dim Coumou, a climate scientist at the Free University of Amsterdam who wasn’t involved in the study. “But that doesn’t make the results less alarming. Heat waves will strongly increase with climate change, and that’s a big problem for society.”

The last weekend of June was too hot (high 80s/90s) but the first week of July was very pleasant in Brugge. Then we had to leave.

fullsizeoutput_6ad1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ad0.jpeg

July 2, 2019​

Last edited:
Yesterday I had my first swim in the sea for this summer. The water is still pretty cold so getting in is difficult, but you get used to it quickly. I didn't want to go in earlier in the month, when we had hotter days, because our beach (at West Bay) was being worked on for flood control and I would have had to go to a beach with a strong current. The work at West Bay is finished and the lifeguards are on duty, so now we can swim.

We are on day 2 of a 3 day heatwave in the UK. Tomorrow will be 100F in London but only 74 on the Dorset coast where we live. What a difference!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina