• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Wonders of Middle India

As we were about 50 yds away, I am not sure that he had seen us...... most times their crest lies flat if they are at rest.

Looking closely I can just see a wispy fether. Does the crest go up when they are feeling threatened, or is it a sign of aggression?

I have never seen one of these birds looking particularly aggressive..... I would say when threatened or just alert is when they raise their crest. I believe my Indian naturalist friend said that he was an immature one, so maybe that's another reason why the crest is not so visible.

Quickly changing to the furry end of the spectrum.... this is just another example of camouflage. This leopard was no further than 30yds away up in this tree (that's quite close!), and we would have driven straight past if it wasn't for our eagle eyed naturalist.....
India 2014 GB 351.JPG

Yes, Eleanor.... he is stunning. Although I have said it before, and to many people, I still find it difficult to believe that I am that close to one of Nature's most wonderful creations, even though I have been privileged to see some of the world's big cats a few times now..........Hmmm..... I wonder if anyone would want to see jaguars ? .... (not the 4.2 litre variety)..... but then I would have to open another thread.

... and this family of Barasinga or Swamp Deer are becoming increasingly rare. They are only found in small numbers in a few national parks. These were spotted in the beautiful Kanha, Rudyard Kipling country, right in the middle of India.
Barasinga Family at Kanha 201.jpg

As a bit of a post script to the major 'contributors' to this thread.... my beloved tigers, the beautiful Kankati and the handsome Samrat, both have died since our last trip in 2016.
We have just learnt on our latest trip that Kankati was electrocuted accidentally and Samrat died from an overdose of tranquilizer. So, Samrat who was only 2 years old and the most gorgeous tiger we have ever seen, sadly did not grow up to be the 'Emperor' he was destined to be. I am afraid that in both cases it was down to human error.... I will say no more.
INDIA 2016 1474.JPG
RIP

But.... life does, and has to go on in the wildlife paradise that is Bandhavgarh. We were fortunate to bump in to a relative of the wonderful Samrat on our most recent trip. This is his half sister who is now about 20 months old. Let's hope that she fairs better than her brother.
INDIA 2018 (MASTER) 449 (2)a.jpg

And, here is another of my favourite feathered friends having just caught something of the wriggly variety....he is the Crested Serpent Eagle.
INDIA 2018 (MASTER) 217.jpg

This very large person can be found in Middle India, and they are commonly spread over this continent and some of the rest of Asia. The Chinese versions are said to be bigger but this male would weigh best part of a ton, and over 6'0" at the shoulder.... he is the Indian Gaur or Bison. Apart from the Wild Water Buffalo, who may challenge him in size, he is probably the largest bovine in the world. Apart from elephants, rhinos, hippos and giraffes, he will be the largest mammal ( land that is.)

Attachments

• INDIA 2018 (MASTER) 320.jpg
    INDIA 2018 (MASTER) 320.jpg
    11.8 MB · Views: 22
I've clicked on the pictures to enlarge then and they are amazing - so clear and remarkable detail.

You wouldn't want to upset that Gaur...

Thank you Eleanor. The tiger and the gaur were relatively straightforward, but the eagle image was quite challenging. As you know, taking dark animal photos up in a tree with bright light is not easy.
As some people know, I am not fond of our wriggly friends.... we were travelling slowly in our vehicle, when there was a noisy commotion as the eagle had just caught the snake and flew up into the tree directly in front of us. Fortunately for me, I was comforted in the knowledge that serpent eagles never ever drop their prey.

I have to admit I'm not keen on snakes either, although funnily enough I find pictures of them on the TV worse than seeing them in the real... We used to regularly see adders sunning themselves on forest roads in Kielder forest. Fortunately they were always keen to get out of our way as long as they sensed us coming first.

Thanks again Eleanor.... if I ever think of visiting the Kielder Forest, hopefully I will remember your warning !
In practice, my problem with snakes does inhibit my wildlife exploits and has unfortunately eliminated some places that would otherwise have been on the 'bucket list'. Costa Rica and Madagascar for example, where it is mainly walking safaris, one has to cope with the dreaded things dropping out of trees.

India, I can manage to avoid if I am very careful.

So, back to Middle India, where we caught this Rhesus Macaque monkey nearby eating the wild flowers....
INDIA 2018 (MASTER) 898.jpg

And back to feathered friends, these two are Indian Roller Birds, fairly common but not often seen together. They are among the most colourful, and are quite stunning in flight.... but it would take an expert to capture that. They are nigh on impossible to catch in flight.
INDIA 2018 (MASTER) 299.jpg

The rollers are beautiful. Are they related to the rollers which are an occasional summer visitor to the UK? I've never been lucky enough to see one.

I believe they are related although the Indian Roller is non-migratory. The European or Eurasian Roller has about three subspecies and is not quite so colourful.... and no, I haven't been lucky enough to see one either. If they are like their Indian cousins, they should be about the size of a crow.

This is another pair I saw in a previous visit, plus nearby we saw probably one of the most colourful birds in the world.... not in the gardens of a stately home, but in its natural surroundings... a Peacock.
INDIA 2016 1219.JPGINDIA 2016 031.JPG

Still in Middle India-ish, but in the western state of Gujarat lies the national park of Gir. It is the only place in the world to see lions outside of Africa. It is said that there are maybe as many as 400 individuals here, but I am not sure at all. You have to be quite lucky to see one. They are very similar to their African cousins, but maybe a little leaner and smaller, but still magnificent.
We caught this one asleep in the forest and waited a long time for him to stir in the early morning. Our patience was rewarded as he came with 10' of us, stopped ( as did our hearts!) right in front of us, and then walked on..... as I always say, cats of all sizes are inquisitive by nature and will want to 'inspect' you, and decide that you will not be as tasty as the local deer. They are never aggressive, but 10' away was just a little uncomfortable....
INDIA 2016 108.JPGINDIA 2016 130.JPG

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina