• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Wonders of Middle India

I believe they are both like all deer and lose their antlers early spring, and grow a completely new set every year.... getting bigger each time.

On our last trip we were very lucky to see this furry friend quite close.... she is a Golden Jackal. We saw her in Panna National Park, one of the prime wildlife places in the state of Madhya Pradesh, Middle India.
Again, note how well she blends in with the background....
Panna jackal 4.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Eleanor, it has just made me think that if one was able to visit these huge national parks during the wet season, say June to September, we would get much better contrast. Green vegetation and brown animals.
Unfortunately the parks are all closed during that time, but there is pressure for that to change. Of course the tour operators would benefit and so would the wildlife lodges, and all the forest authority staff. It is said that the parks are impenetrable during the wet season, and thus potentially dangerous. In practice this is nonsense, as for most of the time the main tracks are quite passable in most of the parks. The other argument from central government is that the animals need a rest from human intervention. Again, this is a shallow argument, as from much personal experience, we know that the animals thrive on visitors both directly and indirectly. Responsible tourism, which does prevail in India, keeps the tourists to the main designated roads and tracks which prevents conflict anyway, and the more time the tourists and forestry guides etc., are in there, the less time there is for poaching. I am afraid the Indian government are a little short sighted at times, which is a shame as they have done so much for the preservation of the Tiger and so many of the other threatened species.... including my jackal.

Last edited:
Langur Monkeys are generally the most common, but this Rhesus Macaque is also present in most national parks in India. Here we caught him eating blossoms from The Flame of the Forest Tree in Panna National park, again fairly common in many parks...
Panna monkey 1.jpg

We saw a lot of Languar monkeys in Rajasthan. They waited on the side of the road to mug cars for food....
Screen shot 2018-07-14 at 20.46.12.png

This on even jumped on the car wind sceen. looking really hopefully at us (you do realise I've not eaten this month?) and got quite cross when we didn't give her any food.
Screen shot 2018-07-14 at 20.46.52.png

Reactions: GDB
That's a great shot looking through the windscreen; they can be quite frightening when in a large pack.
This is one of my favourite shots with this smart one checking the plumbing.....
Langur testing some Indian plumbing_87.jpeg.JPG

There are a number of owls in India..... this one is similar again to our little owl.... he is a Pygmy Owlet.
Pygmy Owl 2014.JPG

Thought it was about time for another tiger picture. This is my beautiful Kankati who is sadly no longer with us... she would be nearly 7 years old now; she was about 4 in this photo.....
INDIA 2016 1749.JPG

This feathered friend is common in most parts of India...... please note his neck.... thus he is called the Woolly Necked Stork.
India 2014 GB 712.JPG

This time it is the Silver Backed Jackal ... he is on the hunt. This jackal is fairly common in most national parks in India. He is like a medium sized dog and not in the least overweight. This one appeared to be by himself but they often hunt in pairs.
INDIA 2016 1216.JPG

Here is a rare sight..... it is a Great Egret chatting to a Cormorant. Although they are completely different in size, colour, etc, apparently they share the same language... the cormorant told the egret to drop to the lower branch as he hates being spoken down to....
Great Egret & Cormorant.JPG

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina