• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Theft of smart phones used as cameras...is this a common problem?

SuzanneT

10+ Posts
I know this happens everywhere, but I wonder how common this is in Italy this year and especially in the big tourist cities? It's a huge problem where I live as folks just grab your phone as you're taking a photo and off they go! I love the quality of my android camera but wonder if I should rely on my cheap old Nikon. Nobody tries to steal it! lol

Hmmm....I had not heard of this happening before now. I use my iPhone as my camera everywhere...including 12 days in Tuscany and Rome this past October. I will do the same for a return trip to Tuscany in 2 weeks. I guess you just have to be careful and alert to your surroundings...and keep a tight hold on your phone. I think there may actually be phone cases that have a strap you can wear around your neck.

I can't answer that question for Italy, but depending on the location, theft / petty crime is either an ongoing problem or a rare and unusual event.

Certainly important to be aware of where you are, as some locations present easier opportunities. A very different risk walking the vineyards on the Langhe or even the coastal walks of Cinque Terre to the bustling streets of some city based heavily touristed locations.

Having two phones, both with GPS tracking enabled for the other one, might be worth considering if in a bustling city where there will be thieves and police.

The act of taking a photo is a clear advert to a pickpocket/thief that we're tourists with a camera/phone/tablet that might be worth stealing. I have to say this makes me more wary in busy cities, and as a result I doubt I've ever taken a photo in a bustling location. Apart from that, although I'm not a regular photo taker these days, I rarely find myself in locations that would give me concern.

As with money, it's worth thinking it through to know your strategy for prevention and mitigation. Having an older camera could help both of these, but so could ensuring where you stand reduces the chance for someone to make a quick snatch for the phone without attracting the attention of a travelling companion. Having a safe place to put the phone after use would be just as important. The more bustling the location, the more thought I would give to that strategy, but in the normal low-risk areas, I give it no more thought than I would do at home.

thank you so much! I also posted at LonelyPlanet and got lots of replies saying the same thing...a resounding no!
There are big differences between the 1st and 3rd world countries and this is probably one of them! lol most people in Ecuador do not have a cell phone and over 30% do not have electricity in their homes.
Someone replied that this doesn't happen in Europe! and why bother when it doesn't have a charger and it might be locked! lol

Having two phones, both with GPS tracking enabled for the other one, might be worth considering if in a bustling city where there will be thieves and police.

Good idea! I'm going to do that with Steve's phone and mine!

My biggest problem is dropping my camera when traveling! I've done that twice.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina