• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Thermal Pools in Tuscany - Recommendations and descriptions please

reajackson

10+ Posts
Evening:
As is always my want I come here to the forums looking for info - best source still after many years.

Anyway - I am heading to Italy AGAIN this coming Sept. I visited Terme San Giovani in Rapalano last year and had a wonderful day there. I want to try a different thermal pool / spa this year.

Any experiences / thoughts on where to go before I re-book Rapalano?
I have looked at Chianciano Terme - looks interesting.
What I liked about Rapalano is that it had a single day fee with access to all the pools - so I am wondering too if there are restrictions to pool type / use at other locales.

Any info would be very much appreciated.
Rea Jackson
Denver

There are several hot springs hotels in Bagno Vignoni in Tuscany, near Montalcino). The town is small but lovely and you can soak your feet in the small stream of hot water on the edge of town. Friends of mine who live in Italy love going here.

The most famous one is the Saturnia Spa (southern Tuscany). Friends of mine went on a day pass and loved it. Kathy McCabe (Dream of Italy magazine and TV show) loves staying there. From her photos on Instagram it looks great. There is also public access to the hot stream nearby.

We’ve been to the town of Chianciano Terme - great location near Montepulciano - but didn’t try the spa hotels.

Let us know which one you go to!

Here is an older thread with info:

Although I've not been to Chianciano Terme for the thermal pools, there are two positives that come to mind:
1. It's on a mainline train route (Firenze - Roma), so good for direct trains and also if you need connections
2. Montepulciano is a really easy day trip by bus (~ 35 minutes each way), which should give a pleasant and different experience for little effort.

Pauline and Ian -
Thank you for your responses. I am thinking that Chianciano Terme might be worth a try - I was in Montepulicano last fall and loved the town and the whole area.
I want to say too that I had a great experience at San Giovani in Rapalano just southeast of Siena - that is worth a trip if you are wanting to wade in warm water - great plaza and state of the art locker rooms and a nice liquor and coffee bar area as well.
Peace.
Rea

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina