• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

THOUGHTS PLEASE

Sharon J

100+ Posts
Let me start by saying, we are very experienced drivers for France and Italy. We can't go a year without visiting Sant'Antonio but want to return to the lovely 500 year old house we always rent in Beynac, France in 2021 and then back to Sant'Antonio. We already have our return trip to Italy set for this coming May, so I'd kind of like to get a few thoughts in my head for the following year. We would like to stay in the Beynac house first, and then drive to Montepulciano for the second half of our trip 2021. I don't think we have ever crossed different borders before, except for a quick jaunt into Switzerland for a day. It looks like it's an 11 hour drive. So, we are thinking of spending one night in Torino?? and continuing on to Montepulciano the following day. Overnight stop in a different city? Easy place to spend a night? Too much to take on?

Any words or thoughts would be much appreciated. We drive straight through from Beaufort, SC to Dallas, (12) hours every year, and haven't found it too difficult. However, two different countries may be WAY different!!!! Thanks in advance

Sharon

Thank you for the reply. Yes we have spent quite a bit of time in Torino. It is a beautiful city. That's why we are trying to find a place outside of town, so we can hop back on the highway the following morning.

I love Torino, but don't reckon it's a good choice for a stopover. Traffic can be quite busy and it's bigger than you need.

Assuming you'll come via the Frejus tunnel, I'd be looking for options definitively en-route to make the stop easier - perhaps Rivoli with its castle and gardens? However would the Sacra di San Michele appeal as it's right on route? Lac du Mont Cenis might also be an appealing way to break up a long drive. Stupinigi (old royal palace with extensive gardens) is also worth consideration and it's a tiny detour off the E70 tangenziale

If hiring a car, and doing a one-way trip, then there will be a hefty surchage. However with a French plated car expect to get waived through the border post.

Thank you Ian for all the great advice. I will look into all of those places. Interesting about the car hire. We will be driving the car rented in France into Italy for the rest of our trip. We planned on returning it in Rome, after our stay in Montepulciano. Will that be a problem with a French rental? We thought about flying to Rome from Toulouse, but so hate airports these days, and enjoy driving, so thought that would be better for us.

I would ask now about charges for the car rental returning in a different country. We did this frequently in the past, picking up in France or Switzerland and returning in Italy, and the charge for doing so was low but now I think it is higher. It may vary by company. It also may be different in 2021. Remember that it would cost you money to take the car back to France to return it there, so paying a drop off charge may be cheaper.

We leave tomorrow for a 15 hour drive across the UK and France to Switzerland. We spend 2 nights on the road making it two 6 hour days and a last easy day. I book boring hotels with parking so our car full of luggage is okay (I like the Mercure chain in France). And we want to get there as fast as possible. I pick overnights in towns with vegetarian restaurants (Arras, Basel). Arras is a small town. Basel is bigger but we stayed there last year and it was quick to get into the center.

I think Turin is too large a city for an overnight unless you know exactly where you are going. It might be easier to stop in a smaller town. Some place nice, where you can find a good hotel, have a nice dinner and do a nice walk around town - that’s what I look for.

As my Steve would say, “a roadsie!” Sounds like a good trip.

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone. I decided to call AUTO EUROPE/EUROPE CAR, and my issue is solved. All the rental agencies charge thousands of dollars to drop in a different country, which would be Rome for us. That's not going to happen, so it looks like we will have to fly from Toulouse to Rome. Now I can quit thinking about it!!!

Sharon, be sure to check flights from Bordeaux too. Or do consider spending that second week in France as you were thinking about doing.

If the trip is at least 21 days (or maybe 17), may I suppose that Auto Europe also looked into the lease/buyback programs that the French car manufacturers offer? AE highlights the Peugeot program on its site; you can also Google the buy-back programs of Renault and Citroën. Where I see a price breakdown for Renault, the charge for returning in Italy after picking up in France is $350, and the total price may be on the high side, but it's a brand new car with zero deductible insurance and GPS.

Thank you Ann, I will have a better feel after our stay this upcoming May with Nico, whether to return, as is our favorite place on Earth, but France is calling to us!!! Hadn't even thought of Bordeaux. Thanks for the suggestion. Also Andrew, we will look into the lease/buyback program.

Ten years ago the fee was $50!

Not to get too far off topic Pauline, but man, what a difference. Reminds me that 10 years ago I brought my family over to italy from Washington, DC. Cost me $650 a ticket (NOT on a budget airline). Same time period- TWICE that now. The times are really changing for travel!

I've lost track of what time period you're looking at, but I've seen posts this summer about fares between the East Coast and Rome pretty close to the September dates when we're going at under $300 round trip, some on established legacy airlines. www.secretflying.com is a site where deals are posted; looking now at Washington-Rome, the lower fares are often on airlines and routings that can give one pause.

I've lost track of what time period you're looking at, but I've seen posts this summer about fares between the East Coast and Rome pretty close to the September dates when we're going at under $300 round trip, some on established legacy airlines. www.secretflying.com is a site where deals are posted; looking now at Washington-Rome, the lower fares are often on airlines and routings that can give one pause.

Hi Andrew! I had booked in March for our September trip. I wonder if I booked too far out. Haven’t checked that website before...I’m going to add it now though. Yes, I’m always cautious around some of these newer airlines. Saw some decent flights on Aeroflot at one point. But sometimes the routes are wonky (long layovers)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina