• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Train from Florence vs plane to return to Zurich from FLR

reajackson

10+ Posts
Next Topic:
I love the train but the schedule from Firenze SMN is long ride and not all that direct - This is not what it used to be back in the day - SMN to Milano then to Chiasso and then direct to Zurich HB. The train trip would be near 10 hrs duration going through of all places Verona!
I am thinking of bagging the train and taking ITA Air from FLR to FCO to ZRH - duration is 6.5 hours with get this a 4 hr layover in FCO (Rome) - I am thinking this a better option as I need to be back at ZRH the following day. 9.26.22 to fly back to the States.
Difference in cost in US $ is about 30.00 US more on the plane.
If you were me - what would you do?
Thanks.
Rea J

Are you basing those train schedules on what's currently showing for September? Those are likely incomplete; it's better to look at schedules for the near future, and they'll probably be similar when the schedules are final. Now I'm seeing a recommended option taking about 5.5 hours with one change in Milan, although I'd prefer more than their 15-minute connection. Source: www.thetrainline.com .

If flying, Swiss has non-stop FLR-ZRH service, but I see that it's expensive on your apparent date. I'm not that keen on booking a Florence-Rome flight; it's a small plane subject to cancellation. If I had to fly from Rome, I'd be tempted to take the train from Florence; there are some direct trains to FCO Airport.

What about driving? You will be getting a car for your time in Tuscany. What are the extra charges to drop it off in Zurich? We used to do this, rent in one country - drop off in another, and the drop off fee was low. But I think it is higher now. Still, I would consider it if you enjoy driving.

Otherwise, I would do the train because I think it would be fun.

What about taking a connecting flight from FLR to ZUR which connects to your transatlantic flight to the United States, same day? Swiss has nonstop flights from FLR to ZUR.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina