• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Train question

jan

100+ Posts
So, I found a "super economy" fare on trenitalia, going from Venice to Arezzo on the morning of November 18. I bought it, 2 tickets and used my Amex. All seemed to go smoothly. BUT when I got the email with the tickets, they are both in my husband's name. Yes, there are 2 different seat assignments but the same name on each ticket. Do you think we can just travel with these? Or should we go to the train station and speak to someone about it before our travel day. TIA!

From what I can tell, if this is a direct trip on a national train (no Regionali involved), the name doesn't matter; you just need to know the PNR.

Yes, so for the Regionale do you have printouts that you need to show, both with your husband's name? From what I've seen posted for years, tickets are never checked on the 12-minute segment from S. Lucia to Mestre. You could take your chances on that, or if you are checked plead that it was a glitch on Trenitalia's end, and you did in fact pay for tickets for two, or just pay €1.35 for that segment for yourself. The rule is that ID should be checked with Web-purchased tickets for Regionali, but it shouldn't matter on the longer Intercity segment.

I too had purchased the “super economy” fare online for two people for travel on Trenitalia in May. Only my name appeared on both emailed tickets and I was concerned. However, on the train, the conductor merely scanned each ticket and moved on. We had two different journeys with my name only appearing on the tickets and there was never a problem.

Last edited:
Another point I'd make is that, if the trip you want to take includes a segment on a Regionale, you might as well book (online in advance) only the reservable segment on a national train, and buy the Regionale segment at the station just before leaving. Having a Web-purchased Regionale ticket with a passenger name adds needless complications to a simple purchase. This advice includes trips where the Regionale might be the later segment of the trip: say you have a reserved train from Venice to Florence, connecting to a Regionale from Florence to Arezzo. You can buy the Firenze-Arezzo ticket at a kiosk at Venice station.

Just remember to stamp a station-purchased Regionale ticket before boarding the applicable train.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina