• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Traveling in Ireland and England/Cotswolds by rail

Queenie

10+ Posts
Hello,
My sister and I will be traveling in Ireland (8days) and then flying from Shannon to London (4days) and then spending 4 days in the Cotswolds. Total 16 days.
Our plan:
Flying into Shannon and then taking train upon arrival to Killarney . (4 nights) take day tours)
Train to Galway (4nights) take day tours
Fly from Galway to London
Spend time in London and 4 days in Cotswolds
Does this sound doable by public transportation and where would you recommend we make our home base in the Cotswolds for good public transportation to villages. I understand that traveling in the Cotswolds without a car is difficult; but that will not change.
Thank you in advance for any help. I’d really appreciate any recommendations for lodging in Cotswolds as well, or for any suggestions from must do’s to restaurants.

The train from London goes to Oxford and then on to Moreton in Marsh. This would be a good base. You can bus to Chipping Campden, Broadway, Stow on the Wold, Burford.

Stay in Moreton, not in a nearby village. Friends of mine stayed in a village that was listed as being in Moreton but was 15 minutes away by car with no bus service. Moreton is a pretty town, small and surrounded by countryside.

If you want to splurge on a private day tour driving around the area, there are many car services that do this. I’ve met Tim Harrison and friends have used him. Highly recommended. https://www.tourthecotswolds.co.uk/

The only other places on a Trainline are Stroud in the southern Cotswolds and Cheltenham on the western edge. This is a different Trainline and does not connect to Moreton.

For accommodation are you looking at vacation rentals or B&B or hotel?

I wrote a page about the Cotswolds:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina