• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Walking/Hiking Trekking in Italy

Sara

10+ Posts
I was wondering...is there someone of you who is into trekking/hiking in Italy? I would like to exchange some impressions about trails.

Being from Northern Italy, I've personally tried some hikes in Veneto's mountains -where you can also find ruins of fortresses and trenches of WW1 - and in South Tyrol among fairytales villages and amazing glacial lakes.

Have you got some suggestions?

Hi Sara
Going a little further north, I did enjoy the walking near Trento (Molveno, Fai della Paganella, Andalo), with the challenge being as hard as you wanted to make it - and with ski lifts to significantly reduce the hard climbing.

Much easier, I do like the walking in the Langhe and south of there (e.g. Castino). The Langhe has the special attraction of offering walks through the vineyards that produce wine I love.

Further south, the Amalfi coast offers such a rich resource in the paths that criss-cross the coastline, plus some amazingly quiet paths going inland. Shockingly under-used.

Regards
Ian

I love the Amalfi Coast hiking and there are a few good books with trail info - Sunflower, Cicerone and a local guide. We’ve done 2 hiking trips there and are going again in May.

We found some good hiking from Spoleto and Spello in Umbria.

Trails in Tuscany are better marked now than when we first started visiting 20 years ago.

What areas have you hiked?

Thanks for posting that article, Pauline. That's an area that we know well, but not an area that interests me for hiking (even before I read that article.-- and less after I read it!) I've never been interested in seeing wild animals on our walks. B

The hiking I really enjoyed in Italy was in the Dolomites, on the Alpe di Siusi (Seiser Alm). It's a high meadow, a cross-country skiing area in winter. In summer you can ride the tram and cable cars and there's fabulous walking, well-marked trails, lots of wildflowers, and beautiful views.

Kathy

We stayed in B&Bs and agriturismos in Scanno, Decontra and Rocca Calascio. It was a guided small group tour (eight of us, two groups of four friends) with an excellent local guide. So good that we are hiring him privately to take us on walks the next time we go. The company is a British one called Sacred Walks (their website seems to be dead, but they are on Facebook). There were some organisational hitches that were annoying, but the people, the food, and the places we stayed more than made up for them. Here's the album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/larecettedujour/albums/72157669493509688

Still in Northern Italy the Adamello regional Park has spectacular granite landscapes for proper hiking including the Sentiero n.1.
lago aviolo blog.jpg

Sardegna has some beautiful hikes along the coast (ideal April/May) or in the mountains further inland.

I love the Amalfi Coast hiking and there are a few good books with trail info - Sunflower, Cicerone and a local guide. We’ve done 2 hiking trips there and are going again in May.

We found some good hiking from Spoleto and Spello in Umbria.

Trails in Tuscany are better marked now than when we first started visiting 20 years ago.

What areas have you hiked?
I'm very familiar with the Piccole Dolomiti, in between Vicenza and Trento, and the so-called Asiago plateau, that, other than wonderful views, allow you to experience many things connected with WW1, as there was the "first line" up there. In Asiago there are plenty of museums, ossuaries, trenches and fortresses. It's a great experience, it makes you think. Among the Piccole Dolomiti there is Mount Pasubio, which has a famous trail called "the Road of the 52 Tunnels". It was built during the war by the Italian army by excavating the rock in order to protect themselves from the Austrian army. It's pretty impressive, one in a lifetime experience.

This past summer I had the chance to explore Ultental, a valley in South Tyrol, which is not full of tourists like other valleys in that area. It's a wonderful corner of the world, still very rural and authentic.

The hiking I really enjoyed in Italy was in the Dolomites, on the Alpe di Siusi (Seiser Alm). It's a high meadow, a cross-country skiing area in winter. In summer you can ride the tram and cable cars and there's fabulous walking, well-marked trails, lots of wildflowers, and beautiful views.

Seiser Alm is great, but sadly it's becoming too packed with tourists, in my opinion :( The whole South Tyrol is a great hiking area, this summer I had the chance to experience Ultental, still very rural and slightly off the beaten path. I enjoyed it A LOT.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina