• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tuscany Tuscany, Montepulciano - Poggio Etrusco, apartments and B&B

Pauline

Forums Admin
Agriturismo Poggio Etrusco - three apartments and B&B on an organic farm near Montepulciano, run by cookbook author Pamela Sheldon Johns and her husband the artist John Johns. Cooking classes available.
http://www.poggio-etrusco.com/

These reviews were collected on the Slow Europe website and have been copied here.

Reviewed by: fugifilm (1 review)
Reviewed on: November 8, 2009
Date of Stay: fall 2009
Vacation Rental Name: Poggio Etrusco
A very good place to stay while exploring Tuscany. Unique B&B with private appartments, swimming pool, on a working vineyard/Olive orchard. A place where you loose track of time while sitting outside, sipping wine and surveying the contryside.

Reviewed by: Louise (1 review)
Reviewed on: June 23, 2009
Date of Stay: summer 2007
My daughter (17) and I were guests of Poggio Etrusco for 6 nights. The entire experience was delightful. The accommodations were warm and inviting; we felt as though we were living in our own private villa ... organic garden to pick from, swimming pool to lounge and refresh in after exploring the hill towns of Tuscany.
The location is convenient to explore the beautiful hill towns by day and rest in the hospitality of Pamela and Johnny. The lovely apartment we rented was the perfect respite after a day of exploring, with the living room / fireplace, full kitchen, beautiful bedroom, balcony all with gorgeous views of the countryside provided a true Tuscan experience.
This was my second visit to Poggio Etrusco ... and it won't be my last. My daughter fell in love with the entire Tuscan villa experience ... she was disillusioned by the Cruise part of our trip - too many people and schedules to keep. When she got to Poggio Etrusco she settled into a true Tuscan lifestyle and made fast friends with Pam and Johny's daughter. She has now taken up the Italian Language in college and is returning to study in Florence - I'm sure a visit to Poggio Etrusco with be included.

Reviewed by: Pokey (2 reviews) (by @PokeyMindy )
Reviewed on: June 11, 2009
Date of Stay: fall 2007
Vacation Rental Name: Poggio Etrusco-Gelsomino apartment
Agriturismo Poggio Etrusco is located in S. Albino, between Montepulciano and Chianciano Terme. It's about a 5-10 minute drive off of Route 146. The property is located off a small road where you are surrounded by olive trees and views that will make you weep with joy!
You would need a car for your stay here. It was about a 10 minute drive to the closest COOP, but only a five minute drive to the "main drag" where there were shops and a great restaurant, Tre Stelle. We took advantage of the delicious breakfast provided with our stay. We made coffee in our apartment and bought snacks for afternoons when we would relax after a day of sightseeing.
Our apartment, Gelsomino, was located up about eight stairs and seemed very quiet. (Pamela's husband Johnny brought up our luggage from our car). The villa is in beautiful condition, our apartment was well maintained and spotless! There are four apartments for rent.
Although a bit cold when we were there to sit outside, there were plenty of places to relax. A nice table directly outside our door to enjoy a cup of coffee and take in the spectacular view. There is a pool, although it was covered since we were there "off season" for pool use. The pool area looked fabulous!
The apartment was spotless. The bed I slept in was the most comfortable bed ever. My sister agreed that her bed, too, was heavenly. The armoires in each bedroom were gorgeous as were the "handsome" chest of drawers.
A comfy couch for relaxing and reading. Kitchen table with chairs, which were comfortable. Extra chairs also.
Bedrooms/Bathrooms
As mentioned before, the beds were out of this world comfortable. The linens and comforters were ideal as far I was concerned. I could have stayed in my bed for the entire time and not have been disappointed. The bathroom, spotless. Plenty of cotton towels. Beautiful tile work. There was the main bathroom and then a small sink area right outside the main bathroom door. Great for two ladies that love their "space". Hot water and great water pressure.
Plenty of extra blankets if needed.
Very usable kitchen. Nice refrigerator, stove and oven (although we did not use the oven). Well stocked with pots and pans, knives, etc. Every detail thought out with a cook in mind! Illy coffee waiting for us to enjoy! Dish soap and cleaning supplies provided. Also, because it was cold, we did use the heating system which worked very well. There was also a portable heater, which worked great, taking the chill off quickly.
We were so pleased with this property. We loved the cooking class that Pamela Sheldon Johns offers. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful apartment (Pamela graciously upgraded us to Gelsomino apartment, yeah Pamela)! Now THAT was a GREAT surprise :)
Pamela Sheldon Johns and her husband Courtney (Johnny) are Americans and live on the property. I dealt directly with Pamela. She was prompt and courteous in her replies.
Since our accommodations were part of my 2006 SlowTrav Contest prize, we only had to pay half price. Nice, right?
I would definitely stay here again! I am already thinking about when I can return! And yes, of course I would HIGHLY recommend this property AND taking one of Pamela's cooking classes.
Things to do in this area:
A great location off of the ever popular Rte 146, close to Montepulciano, Monticchiello, Pienza, S. Quirico, the beautiful Sant' Antimo, and Montalcino. Chiusi is about 45 min. away, a great place to drop off your rental car.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina