• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Two weeks in Southern Italy

Pauline ......what happened to all the Slowphotos? I think I tried to get them when I first left ST but there was some bureaucratic problem.

When I tried to copy down the site I think I got some of the slowphotos but it may not be in a usable form. I’ll have a look at the files.

Where did you hike on the Amalfi coast? Do you have a trip report from that trip? Zig wants to hike the Path of the Gods. We will be staying at an Airbnb for a week in September in Ravello!

We did The Path of the Gods. I have two trip reports with hiking info.

2016 - https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/naples-and-positano.1345/

2017 - https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/positano-in-november-2017.2714/

We took a car service to Bomerano to start the hike but you could take the bus to Amalfi, then bus to Bomerano. Then you hike to Nocelle, about 3 hours (maybe shorter) and not difficult. Then bus to Positano, bus to Amalfi, bus to Ravello.

There is a very good hike from Ravello that we did from the Cicerone guide where you walk through all the small towns up there. Or a hike down to Minori (we did part of that). Or hike into Valley of Iron (not sure I got that name right) and down to Amalfi. We did that one. Details should be in those trip reports.

We did The Path of the Gods. I have two trip reports with hiking info.

2016 - https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/naples-and-positano.1345/

2017 - https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/positano-in-november-2017.2714/

We took a car service to Bomerano to start the hike but you could take the bus to Amalfi, then bus to Bomerano. Then you hike to Nocelle, about 3 hours (maybe shorter) and not difficult. Then bus to Positano, bus to Amalfi, bus to Ravello.

There is a very good hike from Ravello that we did from the Cicerone guide where you walk through all the small towns up there. Or a hike down to Minori (we did part of that). Or hike into Valley of Iron (not sure I got that name right) and down to Amalfi. We did that one. Details should be in those trip reports.
Thank you! I will read them.

Thank you Pauline and ItalophileNJ for reposting this! I am so lazy that I relied entirely on Italophile to take notes and write up everything about the trip so when Slowtrav disappeared and this trip report went away I lost the names of the places we visited. It was such a fun trip, filled with some rather unusual experiences and it's been great to relive it reading the report.

If you have the time, the amazing medieval clifftop town of Erice is also well worth a visit. I'm not sure all of these places are reachable by train; we did it by car.

Zig and I will be at an Airbnb in Ravello in September. How does one get to the Path of the Gods from there? We won't have a car.
No doubt that Path of the Gods is a wonderful hike (and a name from a marketing genius) so I would never discourage you from doing it, but as someone who stayed in Ravello last Spring, I would be remiss in not mentioning there are brilliant hikes from there too, none require anything but your feet, and those that take you to various coastal towns also typically give you an option of taking a bus when you are ascending. And the bus rides are thrilling in their own way -- high speed, curves, blind spots and spaces so tight that when buses pass in opposite, you could light a match holding it out the window. We could stay only a few days in Ravello but can't wait to return. It is a place that steadies your soul, at least mine. That's one reason I personally would focus more on what is walking distance from there rather than a longer drive away.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina