• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

UK options for next trip

devarae

100+ Posts
Hello SEers,

Now that we're back from our 2017 vacation to Italy (documented in that forum) I'm starting to dream about where we might go next. While there are many (many) places on my dream list (including a return to Rome which we only got a small but glorious taste of) at the moment I am leaning toward somewhere in the UK.

We've previously spent a week in Edinburgh, a week in London, and a week in the Cotswolds based in Chipping Campden. We particularly loved our week in the Cotswolds (at the beginning of September) for the charming villages, the abundance of relatively easy, scenic walks, and the beautiful houses and gardens.

Ideally we would like to visit somewhere where we could fly into a major airport, then take a train to a village where we could base ourselves, with nearby walks, pubs, tea houses, and historical sites/gardens/castles/natural wonders. We aren't completely adverse to driving but we would much rather be able to take a bus or train or occasional private driver (we did this in the Cotswolds and while it did require planning we were happy with the decision). Driving in western Ireland nearly gave both my husband and I nervous breakdowns...!

Having read some of the recent trip reports, I am wondering if Cornwall might be a good option.

We'd also love to return to Scotland but stay in the country. I'd love to visit the Isle of Skye-- the landscapes look amazing!

And I am sure there are many other possible options! Including returning to the Cotswolds and perhaps basing out of a different village and seeing some of the sites we missed last time.

Does anyone else have a personal favorite to suggest?

If flying into Gatwick, there are trains that head south from the airport itself to Brighton, Hove and (assuming the old routes) as far west as Chichester. Plenty of options for great walking on the South Downs, plus heading to the coast offers additional walks. Whilst Brighton has loads to see / going on, as a base it can feel a bit busy, but other smaller places on the train route might appeal more for a chilled location. Horsham, also on the route is a pleasant sized town, with some fine local countryside, yet handily placed to go north or south and very close to the airport.

For Heathrow, the likelihood is you'll head into London on the train to head out again, though worth a look at Windsor and Eton if you want to minimise travel. Alternatively Megabus / National Express coaches will go to a huge number of places from Heathrow.

Worth considering large regional airports to open up other possibilities e.g. Birmingham, Manchester. Dublin worth a thought, as transport links to lovely countryside, plus historic city might fit the bill.

Personally I've always liked the walking in Yorkshire (and the pubs can be brilliant out in the countryside), but that's more of a logistical challenge to get there. Cornwall an even bigger logistical challenge but it's great once there

When we were there 4 years ago visiting with friends in Cornwall we landed in Heathrow, took the Heathrow express to Victoria station and then a train all the way to the tip of Cornwall. It was a long haul (particularly coming from California) but easy to do. No changes necessary except at Victoria.

When we were there 4 years ago visiting with friends in Cornwall we landed in Heathrow, took the Heathrow express to Victoria station and then a train all the way to the tip of Cornwall. It was a long haul (particularly coming from California) but easy to do. No changes necessary except at Victoria.

Thank you ncp! That is really helpful to know!

For Cornwall, if you based yourself in St Ives you might be able to do without a car. In summer there is a bus that goes around the Penrith Peninsula and a train from St Ives goes east. But it would probably be best to have a car. The driving in Cornwall is easier than in the Cotswolds because it is not as busy. Taking the train there, spending a few days without a car, then getting a car there might be a solution. But, if you managed without a car in the Cotswolds, you could manage in Cornwall.

I like Ian's idea of the South Downs. I have not been there in years but people recommend the hiking there and there are more public transportation options.

The more I read about Cornwall, the more interested I am! Or perhaps I am just being tempted by all the luscious photos of scones with clotted cream and jam...

My husband is less into hiking than I am, but I think he would enjoy seeing some of the stone circles and other similar locations, not to mention Tintagel. Perhaps we could start out at the tip and then drive back to the Bodmin Moor region to see those. I do like the idea of taking a few days to acclimate and then maybe getting a car for the rest of the trip!

a shame to miss out on the beaches as well, from the busy Newquay beaches to some delightful little coves that have a road in, the same road out, and nothing much of civilisation there - or at least it was like that in the 1970s :oldman:

There are some great prehistoric sites on Cornwall. Did you see my Day Trips - Cornwall pages? We saw some of these again when we were there in October. Tintagel is on my to-see list - have not been there yet.

I agree, the small towns on the sea are beautiful.

Yes, Pauline, I just found your Day Trips yesterday when I was searching the site for Cornwall! Thank you for sharing all that useful and helpful info. There are so many cool places to visit!

Right now my very vague proto-plan is forming up as: fly to London, train to Penzance, stay somewhere in the south-west tip for a chunk of time visiting some of the following: Land's End, St Michael's Mount, Minack Theater, the Lizard, St Ives, and various prehistoric sites. Then start back east and stay for another chunk of time somewhere near/in Bodmin Moor, and visit the prehistoric sites and Tintagel, then train back to London and stay there for a night or two before going home. Or, if we have less time overall we could skip Bodmin Moor and spend the entire time in the south-west.

Obviously this plan requires biting the bullet and getting a car though, so we'll see how brave we are feeling! Maybe we will chicken out and just go back to Rome again (since we only got a brief but tantalizing taste last month).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina