• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

United Kingdom- BOOKS by British Authors (or set in Britain)

Of course I loved Harold Fry. Who didn't?
I'll tell you who didn't like it. Every person in my book group except for me. I had recommended it and I loved it! Maybe it appeals more to North Americans than to Brits? But it was popular here. My group thought he a) should not have left wife and home and b) complained too much.

That's funny, Pauline. My memory of the book is that he actually didn't seem to complain all that much, given all the trials and tribulations he was going through. I don't think I would have come near sticking it out through that journey wearing the shoes he had on.

And I noticed that the first deal on their list was a book we were just talking about: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, for $1.99, through Feb 7. Pauline, it looks like your book group is definitely in the minority, since that site says the book has over 17,800 five-star ratings on Goodreads.

I have been reading the PG Wodehouse Jeeves and Wooster series (written around 1919). They are just wonderful. Every line is funny. I love how they are written in the first person of Wooster. My favorite bit:

" 'What ho!' I said.
'What ho!' said Motty.
'What ho! What ho!'
'What ho! What ho! What ho!'
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation ..."

There are several collections on Amazon for the Kindle, some free, some cheap. There are a couple of different versions of the first few stories - it seems like he reworked his original stories at some point. "Carry On Jeeves" for $0.99 has 10 J&W stories, starting with "Jeeves Takes Charge" when Jeeves firsts comes into employment with Wooster.

This page on Wikipedia lists all the Jeeves stories.

I just finished Bill Bryson's latest Little Dribbling. It's a collection of essays on towns and villages he explores around the time of the Scottish Referendum so pretty recent. It's laugh out loud funny. It's sad. It's poignant. Mixed with his humorous observations is social commentary about British life. He of course, adores Britain especially England. He loves the countryside. He loves to walk. He admires the people. But he also sees the sad decline of many of the villages and towns and the fading of their unique character.
I consider him a British author even though he grew up in the USA . He's just become such Brit! His comparisons between the 2 countries although few are hilarious.

I haven't read Bryson's latest, but my sister told me she didn't like it as much as many of his earlier books. She said she thought his attitude was too cranky and curmudgeonly. I'd be interested to hear what Lisa and Pauline (after you finish it) think.

I have been reading it here and there, not straight through. Definitely "cranky and curmudgeonly" in spots. I only read bits of his earlier book about England.

So has anyone checked out the new serialized novel, Belgravia, by Downton Abbey creator, Julian Fellowes? The first episode is just out. You can either see it on his own website, or download it for Kindle, iOS, or Android. The first episode is free, but after that you have to pay. I didn't go into Fellowes' website, since it wanted me to register, and I didn't feel like it. There is a Facebook page too, which has a few videos.

I put it on my iPad, and I think it's rather lame for an app. It includes the text and audio, but you can't switch back and forth between the two and keep your place. There are a few "bonus features" in the app but mostly they're just pictures. I'd rather read it on the Kindle, and if I wanted audio, get the associated Audible version. At least that keeps your place.

I've only read a few pages, but I'm not sure it's going to inspire me to keep buying episodes. It's not terribly well written.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina