• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Updated UK Itinerary, a few questions

SusanSeattle

100+ Posts
I just posted this over on SlowTrav, but thought I would post here as well!

Susan
=================================================
I've posted questions over the past several months as we've put together our plans for our trip for the last 3 weeks of July.
Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) have a 3 week trip to the UK planned this summer. The itinerary looks like:

London - 4 nights (we've been before, but of course always lots to see)

Oxford - 2 nights - city walk, Blenheim, Bletchley on the way north after we pick up a car

Yorkshire - Grassington 4 nights and Helmsley 2 nights - walks, abbeys, castles, food, etc.

Seahouses - 1 night for Alnwick castle and Farne islands boat trip

Edinburgh - 3 nights, castle, museums, just enjoying the city, Dalhousie Falconry excursion, a visit to a local rock climbing gym (my daughter climbs competitively, and the rest of us all climb, we plan on climbing one afternoon for fun and to meet locals) We may stay at a hotel with free parking near the tram line, using the 25 min. tram ride to get in and out of the city

Doune - 1 night, taking in St. Andrews and Drummond Castle Gardens on the drive up, Doune Castle the next morning

Glen Coe/Oban area - 1 night, scenery and hiking

Glasgow - arrive in the afternoon before we fly out, return rental car, and stay in the center (Probably George St. Premier Inn)

Our route has definitely changed as we've done our planning. We added in almost a week in Yorkshire and cut a few days from Scotland. But, we think we've ended up with a plan that will keep all 4 of us happy, never an easy feat. We are pretty locked into the schedule, at this point, but I would love to hear restaurant ideas, especially for the Scotland days. We'd also like to find a play to listen to traditional folk music in Scotland. We know some pubs have musical evenings but are not sure if our kids (14 and 16) would be allowed.

As you might guess, I am going to say that you are moving around too much. But, I am even slower now than in my SlowTrav days - perhaps too slow.

In Yorkshire, could you make it a week in one place instead? But it might not work if the time isn't Saturday to Saturday or Friday to Friday.

I can see your one night places to see something specific - Seahouses and Doune. And Glasgow because you are flying from there. I am not sure one night in Oban will be worth it - will you have enough time there? And isn't it always raining in Oban (that is the local joke).

Kim on ST was recently in Edinburgh so probably has some good suggestions for restaurants. As for the pubs, I think kids are allowed - but am not sure. Could you find one of these pubs with local music with a webpage and email them? Then you would be sure.

July is the best time to travel in England weather-wise. Lots of sun!

Pauline,
Traveling with the kids, we've found that they don't like to be in one place for too long. If it was a trip for just my husband and I, it would probably look different. For Yorkshire, we're staying in two different areas so that we don't have to do a lot of driving every evening. I did originally look for a rental, but our dates didn't line up.

I agree that we are doing a lot of driving in Scotland, but it seems like that the driving will really be the way to see a lot of scenery. We had debated about staying in Doune 2 nights and driving to Glen Coe and back on one day. We are hoping that by staying in Glen Coe/Oban, our drive there will be more relaxed. The next day would be a drive through the Trossachs which we hope will also be interesting.

Good idea about the music in pubs. I will look for Kim's post & send out some emails.

We are hoping for sun and no midges :)

What have you learned about the midges? Are they around all summer? I was hoping they were like black flies in northern Ontario - only there for a specific time.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina