• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Vacation package anomaly

Cameron

500+ Posts
In the past, it always seemed airline vacation packages weren't necessarily a good deal unless on sale, but...I've uncovered an anomaly in booking an American Airlines Vacation package instead of a business class ticket and separate accommodations.

To select fewer hotel nights than travel days, you must choose the advanced search option at AAVacations.com. Select your hotel check-in and check-out days. Minimum of three consecutive hotel nights to book a valid vacation package.

For my trip with European Experiences to the Cotswolds in late July, I booked this package:

1 person
business class, direct flight
3 nights in 4* Draycott Hotel in London
(I'll be in the Cotswolds for another week)
total is $500 less than a business class ticket alone = $3200

For my independent trip to Paris in June ("my" apartment is available for only 5 nights, so I needed another place to stay for 6), I booked this scenario:

1 person
business class, one stop
6 nights in 4* Hotel du Continent in Paris
(I'll be in an apartment for another five nights)
total is $1000 less than a business class ticket alone = $3600

I don't know if it works as well for economy tickets. What's more interesting is that the taxes are 30-50% of the total cost, so the actual packages are really, really cheap.

The hotel choices were great for me. Good location, good reviews, on both hotels.

Hope this is helpful!

Sounds like a very successful hunt. My avatar likes this :)

That is interesting! British Airways also offers packages. I will try this with them.

When we flew from the US I always used miles to upgrade to business. We had a lot of miles left over from Steve's business travel days and after that we still managed to have enough miles from our trips.

For the past three years, I've had enough miles to fly business, but came up short, due to not being able to get good schedules without going to the many, many more miles "anytime" flights. American has really reduced the number of FF seats/good routes. Had my apartment in Paris been available for the entire time, I wouldn't have thought to look at vacation packages.

After his final trip to Paris and upon getting his diagnosis, Richard advised that we could afford for me to switch to business class, that life is short. Now flying solo, I'd never be able to sleep beside strangers, anyway.

That's a very good strategy, Cameron. I didn't think about shortening the number of days as opposed to say, a week's package; so next time I go to Europe I'm going to look into this! I occasionally stay in a hotel the first 1 or 2 nights anyway.

So, Cameron, as long as you book a certain number of days in the package hotel, there is no limit on how long you can stay elsewhere?

Under the advanced search, you just indicate your check-in, check-out hotel dates (if different from your flight dates). I tried 2 nights, and it said the minimum was 3 consecutive nights. It said nothing about total number of days without a hotel. What I couldn't figure out is trying to book nights on either side of time without hotels. I called the AA customer service about the amount of taxes on the packages, but the agent couldn't come up with the same great deal -- in fact, she got a $7000 total quote on that Paris package! She told me I should book what was on my screen, so I did.

I thought that was just a lucky fluke, but it worked again for London.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina