• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice Venice crowded, again

joe

500+ Posts
The Guardian reports that there will be a fee of up to 10 Euros per tourist per day. While probably a nice way to help fund the expenditures involved in dealing with so many tourists, I don't see how this will bring their numbers down. Overtourism is still a problem looking for a solution, and I don't believe there will be any in the near future - unless pandemics and other disasters count. So long as so many people are willing to go to such crowded destinations - and so many profit from this - I don't see a change on the horizon. It's a mindset issue, and as such very hard to change.

Amy

100+ Posts
Happy to say that Cannaregio was blissfully uncrowded yesterday, although the vaporetti did look jam packed!
4AE3FCC0-F6D6-431A-911A-A8307AE9042D.jpeg

BryanS

100+ Posts
The Guardian reports that there will be a fee of up to 10 Euros per tourist per day. While probably a nice way to help fund the expenditures involved in dealing with so many tourists, I don't see how this will bring their numbers down. Overtourism is still a problem looking for a solution, and I don't believe there will be any in the near future - unless pandemics and other disasters count. So long as so many people are willing to go to such crowded destinations - and so many profit from this - I don't see a change on the horizon. It's a mindset issue, and as such very hard to change.

When announced pre-pandemic, the idea was to require day visitors to pre-register and pay the tax with limitations on the number of available visitors per day. With the ban on cruise ships the idea is to limit the influx of 'day trippers'. Fees and capacity limits will not apply to those with lodging reservations. Of course with any new program, they are working on the logistics.

joe

500+ Posts
with limitations on the number of available visitors per day. . Of course with any new program, they are working on the logistics.
Indeed, some of the more "extreme" steps are supposed to be initiated this summer. It will be interesting when we will hear of the first tourist that was denied access to Venice because of a quota limit. I still find it hard to believe that this will happen.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano