• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Venice Venice Transportation Options

Each time I visit Venice I evaluate options for how to get from my arrival point to where I am staying. Depending on a number of factors (my arrival/departure points, where I am staying, how much I want to spend, what the weather will be like on travel days) I choose my method or combination of methods of transport.

Here is a summary of the options I typically consider with information on where you can book online. Prices are as of January 2019 and are from the airport/train station/Piazzale Roma to the center of Venice. Other destinations like the Lido, Murano and Giudecca may have different pricing.

Travel by air (Marco Polo airport)

For water transport, recent renovations at Maco Polo require that you go to the 2nd level to take an indoor walkway to the docks which are towards the left as you face the airport exit. This is different than the older outdoor walkway that used to be taken after you exit the airport.

Private Water Taxi
You can reserve and pay ahead of time with Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia which is a consortium of taxi operators: www.motoscafivenezia.it/en

One way : €110
Round trip: €210

If you are arriving at the airport there is a desk inside where if you booked ahead of time you can stop and they will give you directions and tell you who to contact at the docks. I've both stopped here and not (just bringing my printed ticket to the docks because I knew where to go). If you did not book ahead of time you can book here on arrival.

Pros: Ability to be dropped as close as possible to your destination, comfortable, fastest, usually no wait if you booked ahead, nicest views of all forms of transport
Cons: Cost

Shared Water Taxi
In between private taxi and other mass transport is the shared taxi service: www.venicelink.com/en/venice-shuttle-airport-link which has a number of drop off points and claims a wait time of up to 20 to 45 minutes. The usual stops are:

USUAL STOPS: Piazzale Roma, Fond. Sabbioni, Guglie, Fondamente Nuove, S.S. Apostoli, Rialto, Sant'Angelo, Cà Rezzonico, S.Vio, Trinità, S.Marco, S.Zaccaria, Giardini, Sant'Elena, Giudecca, Lido S.Maria Elisabetta

It is for a minimum of 2 people and costs €27 per person from the airport to the center of Venice.

Pros: Less expensive than a private taxi with similar comfort and views
Cons: May need to wait, may have other stops before yours, may not drop you as close to your destination as a private taxi

Alilaguna boats
Alilaguna is a different company than that which runs the vaporetti in Venice. They have a couple of different lines that service most areas (Blue and Orange lines for the center of Venice). There are fewer stops than vaporetti so depending on where you are staying you may need to walk a bit or take a vaporetto as well to get to your destination. Details of the routes and stops can be found here: www.alilaguna.it/en. Departures are every half hour during most of the day. In high season it's possible that the boats will fill up and you may need to wait for the next one.

You can either purchase your tickets online ahead of time or buy them at the docks at the airport or from the boat operators if you are taking the boat from Venice to the airport.

One way pre-purchase: €14, One way purchase in Venice: €15
Round trip pre-purchase: €25, Round trip purchase in Venice: €27
One way with Carte Venezia for frequent visitors [see below in using vaporetti section]: €8

Pros: Economical, if you are staying near a stop it is easy in terms of how little you need to maneuver your bags as they will put them on and take they off the boat for you.
Cons: Can be a long ride for some stops (for example, I've taken the Blue line from the airport to Zattere which is one of the last stops at an hour and 40 minutes). You don't get a great view from the boat as compared to a taxi.

Land buses
There are a couple of companies that provide coach bus service from the airport to Piazzale Roma. Large luggage is stored underneath by you. Tickets can be purchased ahead of time or from the representatives where you pick up the bus. Exit the airport and walk straight across the car pickup lanes to the lanes where the busses pick up and drop off. The buses only take 20-25 minutes.

ATVO
Offers direct service from the airport to Piazzale Roma (no stops). Buses have WiFi. Departures are every 20 minutes during most of the day. www.atvo.it/index.php?lingua=en

One way single ticket: €8 One way with 2 or more tickets, each at: €7
Round trip single ticket: €15 Round trip with 2 or more tickets, each at: €13

Pros: Economical, comfortable, WiFi, nonstop, fast to get to Piazzale Roma
Cons: May need to take another form of transportation after arriving at Piazzale Roma to your final destination

ACTV (Aerobus)
There are other stops between the airport and Piazzale Roma. Departures are every 15 minutes. If you also plan on buying a day or multi-day vaporetto pass you can combine purchases for a discount. Tickets can be purchased at: www.veneziaunica.it/en/e-commerce/services

One way ticket: €8 [€2 discount if purchased in combination with a vaporetto day pass - see below]
Round trip ticket: €15 [€3 discount if purchased in combination with a vaporetto day pass - see below]

Pros: Economical, comfortable, fast to get to Piazzale Roma, price discount if combined with other vaporetto pass
Cons: May need to take another form of transportation after arriving at Piazzale Roma to your final destination, multiple stops

Travel by train (S. Lucia station) or car (Piazzale Roma)

Private Water Taxi
(described more above)
From the Train Station one way: €87
From Piazzale Roma one way: €82

Shared Water Taxi (described more above)
From the Train Station one way per person: €25
From Piazzale Roma one way per person: €25

Vaporetto: (see below)
Note that not all vaporetti are equal when it comes to ease of travel with larger luggage. Different lines have different styles of boats. If you are taking line 1 or 2 which among other places goes down the Grand Canal, the boats are on a single level have a reasonable amount of space that is not seating where luggage can be stored. Other lines like the 5.1/5.2 have smaller boats with limited areas where you get on for luggage and steps down to where seating is. Please be sure to remove any backpacks from your back when get on the vaporetto and try to put your luggage off to the side to make it easier for other passengers to maneuver.

Using vaporetti while in Venice

Vaporetti are the pubic boat bus service in Venice. You can buy either individual tickets, single or multi-day passes or if you are a repeat or longer term visitor buy a Carte Venezia for frequent visitors card which allows you to pay resident rates for each vaporetto ride. Note that this is a special version of Carte Venezia and not what you get when you buy most services on www.veneziaunica.it/en.

Individual tickets (either single ticket or tickets from a Carte Venezia for frequent visitors) are good for 75 minutes if you need to transfer lines. The 75 minutes is through when you get off, not when you get on the boat. If you switch boats the ticket validator will show you how much time you have left on the ticket. If your travel time will expire during the ride be sure to talk to the ACTV person on the boat so you don't end up with a fine. They will charge you for another ride when your time is up (or maybe just forget to). Do expect that you may be asked for your ticket on any ride and remember that having a ticket that you didn't validate when you got on is the same as not having a ticket.

Single ticket: €7.50
Day passes:
These offer an unlimited number of rides and the time starts from the first ride. If you purchase online you get a PNR Code and QR code you can use at a number of vaporetto stops to retrieve your pass [this includes Piazzale Roma, Ferrovia (train station), Rialto, Zattere].
24 Hours: €20
48 Hours: €30
72 Hours: €40
7 Day: €60
Note: for anyone 6-29 years of age the https://www.veneziaunica.it/en/content/rolling-venice card gives additional discounts.

Carte Venezia for frequent visitors card:
€100 for the card which is good for 5 years + the cost of individual tickets [€1.50 for an individual ticket, €1.40 when purchased in a pack of 10].
You do need to visit the ACTV office [there is one at Piazzale Roma] with your passport to get the card. They will take a photo of you for the card. There are apps for your phone you can use to keep track of how many tickets you have left on the card.

1613316677734.png

Last edited:
One update here: The Venezia Unica card is now €100 instead of the previous €50.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina