• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Walking England October

I think it had wifi. It is a cottage beside the main house. The owners are a nice couple. They used to have another rental in our village, but they sold it. The agency is on vacation - that is odd!

Here is a photo of it:

sweetbriar-6000.jpg

It looks so lovely. Yes it is odd. I don't know if entire company on vacation.I submitted a form from internet. As I am not in a hurry, I thought I'd wait and see if I get a response. It looks perfect but of coursse, good wifi is essential.

So it's looking more likely that we will do a UK trip in October. Pauline, are you around for October? I really don't want to go to your area if you won't be there. Although it looks lovely and is my first choice but seeing you and Steve again would make it all the better and more fun.

Aren't you going to Israel? Altho I don't count Israel as Europe. Anyway, let me know. I love Sweetbriar but if it doesn't have wifi, it's a deal breaker. There is much to choose from including in Bridport itself.

We visited that area many years ago and I remember Lyme Regis and dreaming of The French Lieutenant's Woman as I walked by the water. God I loved John Fowler. I may have to read it again.

I believe we stayed in a pub int he area. Does The Rising Sun ring any bells? This would have been the early 80s or early 90s. I can't remember which trip.

I think we will arrive from Dublin. I guess we have to go to Heathrow, rent a car and travel to your area. Right?

The Israel trip has been put on hold. We have nothing booked for October. @italian excursion (Cheryl) will be here for a few days in October and we might try to meet up with @Kathy when she is in Cornwall. Send me your dates when you have them so I can get them in my calendar and make sure we are here.

Burton Bradstock is a good location. There are two pubs and a shop, plus you can walk to the coast trail. The only downside is that the cottage is on the main road but it is not a highway, just a B road that slows for the village.

The people who run Hive Beach Cafe have a rental in Burton. Donkey Lane Cottage.
http://www.burtonbradstockcottages.co.uk/
This is on one of the lanes off the main road.

From Sweetbriar you can walk up the lane to a pub, but there were not any footpaths right there. There are some further down the lane.

From Burton B there are footpaths.

Burton B is the more charming and villagey location.

There are so many lovely cottages. Thanks for the about Burton B as some great looking places there. Dream cottages has not replied to 2 emails and with your info I will give up on them and Sweetbriar. Will check out Donkey one. Sounds too sweet.

We are thinking of Oct 14-28 or thereabouts. Part of that time will be in Dublin where Ron will give a talk.
Checked out Donkey Lane. Very sweet. There seem to be a lot of cottages for rent in B.B. How big is the village?
Sweetbriar has wifi. But sounds like Donkey Lane or another cottage in B.B. might be a better fit.
My sister and partner may join us but I don't see many that would comfortably accommodate 2 couples. Thoughts?

Sweetbriar works with two couples I think.

Burton Bradstock is small. Half is old cottages, the other half modern developments. This area is not as picture perfect as the Cotswolds. Lots of 1960s bungalow neighborhoods. A few caravan parks along the coast.

There are other nearby villages to look - Beaminster, Stoke Abbott, Etc.

Another option with a better selection of rentals is Lyme Regis. It is a 15 min drive from us. We rented once from Lyme Bay Holidays. I have them listed on my vacation rentals page.

What do you think Ref: B4920 / Uplyme, LYME REGIS. Lymebay cottages has quite a few. I hadn't thought of Lyme Regis until you suggested it. This cottage on outskirts. A view of the sea isn't that important lbut being within wAlking distance of amenities is.
I'm still considering BB and donkey lane.
I think we're looking at week of October 14 but not 100 per cent sure.

Uplyme is 30 minutes from Lyme on a lovely walking path. I don't think there is much in Uplyme but it is well located.

That is a pretty cottage. I think in Lyme would be better.

My eyes have glazed over from looking at holiday rentals in Lyme. There are soooo many but then I saw that you mentioned the village of Beaminister and it sounds pretty special. There's not much there but I found Alberts Cottage and it looks wonderful. It's advertised in several locations.
What do you think?

Alberts looks nice and Beaminster is a nice village about 5 miles north of us. It has an award winning restaurant, a small grocery shop, a bakery. Another restaurant I think. Walking trails from the village.

One thing to watch for in U.K. rentals is the size. They don't seem to describe places by square feet, but by number of bedrooms. Some of these cottages are very small. For row houses, called terraces or attached, make sure that besides the door there are two windows. That means it is a good size. We rented one in the Cotswolds last summer and it was two bedrooms but was very small on each level. The kitchen was hardly usable.

I'm quite taken with the lodge at The Gables just outside Bridport. The Gables is a BB and The Lodge is former gardeners cottage. Small but sweet for 2. It's jumped to # 1. Great reviews. Do you know it?

That looks interesting. We'll walk and look at it today or tomorrow. It is almost in the center of town. 3 blocks from Waitrose. A pretty residential area on the side of Allington Hill.

I have friends who might be visiting for a few days at the end of October and I need to find a good B&B or hotel for them. This could work.

http://www.thegablesbridport.co.uk/

We walked by The Gables. I give a no to the cottage but a possible yes to the B&B. The cottage is tucked in behind the big house and looks like it would be dark. The walk into the town center is along a busy road, for about 5 blocks.

I think the Uploders cottage we stayed in would be better, or if you want to walk to shops and restaurants, the Beaminster one. Or the Donkey Lane one in Burton B, which is a short walk from the sea.

I'll post some photos from my phone of The Gables.

One thing about Bridport is that there is a lot of easy parking, so if you stay outside of town, it is easy to get in for shopping or restaurants.

This photo shows the cottage tucked behind the main building.

IMG_0377.JPG

The street the hotel is on is very nice, but it is on the corner of the main street through Bridport (a local road, not a highway - there is a bypass that through traffic goes on). The hotel garden is on the corner and the buildings are set back enough that the road would not bother you. I will insert as thumbnails - click for large images.

The Bridport NHS across the road. The main road (West Street).
IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0371.JPG

Views of the lane the hotel is on.
IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG

Lane hotel is on. Garden of hotel. Last photo is the walk into town.
IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0380.JPG

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina