• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What is your favorite Cotswold village?

I'm no expert, with just one week in the Cotswolds under my belt, but I really enjoyed our stay in Chipping Campden, and I remember being very taken with Burford, maybe just because it was my first real look at a Cotswolds village after we picked up our car in Oxford.

Not Bourton on the Water!! It is our Disneyland town. Pretty but full of tourists.

Stow, Chipping Campden, Broadway, Winchcombe in the North Cotswolds. Lots of accommodation options.
Burford in the east. Anywhere around Bibury east of Cirencester.
My village - Painswick in the south Cotswolds.
Tetbury is nice but a bit too far south.

I have a small website about the Cotswolds - Cotswolder - with information on many of the towns. It really depends on what you want to see and do. Will you book a vacation rental (called a holiday cottage here)? If so, that may make the decision for you. There are many good vacation rental agencies for this area. I have a list on Slow Europe - Cotswolds.

We will get to see you I hope Cheryl! I am happy to help you decide on accommodations and location.

OK, all of a sudden I'm getting excited about a vacation that's a year and a half away! I don't want to hijack Cheryl's thread, so I hope my question might help her as well. Pauline, on the Cotswolder sight you say it's possible to stay a week without a car, and that might be a possibility since we want to do some walking, and love the idea of a local bus or train to neighboring villages. We'll be in the Cotswolds to see the Cotswolds, not use it as a base to see other areas. So, here's my question: if we stayed in a village with services and used public transport, combined with say, one local driving tour, do you have any idea how the costs would compare to just renting a car? And would having a car increase the number of rentals available, and allow more bang for our buck?

There are buses but in some parts there are only a few per day. It would be nice to stay in a village with services to have shops nearby.

We stayed in Broadway for a week once at Broadway Manor Cottages - lovely cottages, very nice people who run them, great location. The only downside is the cottages are not in an historic building. It can be fun to stay in a really old place.

I have been doing some work for Andrew who runs Cotswold Walks and they offer self guided walks of all lengths, where you walk on your own between villages like we did last year doing the Cotswold Way (so did Kathy and Charley and they used Cotswold Walks to book their trip). This might be a fun way to see some of the area.

Last edited:
Don't worry about "hijacking", Barb. I started the thread to get more info as I really have no idea. Your inquiry is great as now I've got an expert very involved! Thanks, Pauline, for providing such great resources. And yes, I couldn't visit the area without seeing you and Steve.

Cheers for now….
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Hi Cheryl and Barb... I'm glad you both are planning a trip to the Cotswolds! It was really the first place in Europe that I really connected with, and I think you will love it.

We've been traveling to the Cotswolds since one of our early European trips in 1997 and have spent about 14 weeks total since that time, including six weeks last summer. We've rented cottages in Blockley and Chipping Campden, and we've hosted five groups based in Chipping Campden. We've also done two long distance walking trips where we stayed in a different village every night... one a circular walk in the Northern Cotswolds (that included three nights in Stow) and the other (just this past summer), the 102-mile Cotswold Way walk from Bath to Chipping Campden. So I know the northern Cotswolds best, but I've seen a lot of the rest of the area too.

The northern Cotswolds is really beautiful, but some villages are more touristed. We enjoyed what we got to know of the southern Cotswolds this past year. Pauline really is the expert and has given you a good list of villages to consider from my perspective. We like Chipping Campden because the village is really lovely; there are plenty of restaurants, shops and services that you need for a more extended stay; and it doesn't draw the tour-bus traffic that we've seen in some other places like Stow-on-the-Wold or Bourton-on-the-Water. Even Broadway-- beautiful-- is a bit too busy for me during midday. You'd find a lot of rental cottages in Chipping Campden... it's an interesting village with friendly local people.

Despite my comment about "tourists," you'll find parts of the Cotswolds very rural. There's a lot of farming still going on. And there are tiny villages that may have only a phone booth, perhaps a pub. We rented a cottage in Blockley on our long trip in 2004. We really liked the village, but it was very small... two pubs and there was a village shop, which is really a plus. (But the walking around Blockley was great.)

If you like gardens and walking, this is the place. You could visit two gardens a week, each different in their own way, and get some good exercise visiting the gardens. The hiking is great too with a well-marked trail system.

I'll also say that the driving takes quite a bit longer than it may appear on a map. Some of the roads are very narrow and it can just take a long time to get places. I would get a good guidebook or use Pauline's Cotswolder website and start marking places you really want to visit on a map of the area. Then think about where to base that will enable you to see/do what's most important to you. Wherever you base, you'll find plenty to enjoy nearby. If you're driving on the other site of the road, you may not want to do a long day trip every day.

About buses... We have used buses a bit from Chipping Campden and had our daughter and her friend using buses a lot when they were with us one summer. There are also taxis that can be pre-booked to get you some places if you don't have a car, though that's not cheap. If you think you can drive, I would get a car. You'll have so much more flexibility to go where you want when instead of having to plan your life around somewhat-limited bus schedules. But you could find plenty to see and do from Chipping Campden using buses, taxis and walking, and I'd be happy to help if I can. The train from London does come to Moreton-in-Marsh in the northern Cotswolds, but I wouldn't recommend staying there as a week-long base.

Kathy

So, here's my question: if we stayed in a village with services and used public transport, combined with say, one local driving tour, do you have any idea how the costs would compare to just renting a car? And would having a car increase the number of rentals available, and allow more bang for our buck?
If it were me, I would rent a car. We did many vacations in the Cotswolds before moving here, and always rented a car. There are wonderful places that you can only get to by car. And, yes, it will increase the number of rentals available because some may be out in villages.

The roads are pretty easy here. When we drive in the area around London we always notice how fast and intense the driving is. Here the drivers are not aggressive (and if they are, I just assume they are from London). Some roads can be very narrow, but it all works. There are laybys or passing places every 1/4 mile or so on these lanes and you pretty soon work out how to use them. And you won't spend much time on the lanes.

Thank you both for the loads of information. Appreciate your input as it will make things easier rather than reinventing it all.

Cheers,
Cheryl

I think it depends on where you decide to stay in the Cotswolds. One train line goes through Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh. There's another line that goes through Gloucester to Cheltenham. You could rent cars in Oxford or Gloucester... and we once got a rental car in Cheltenham. We've also picked up rental cars twice in London near the Marble Arch... it wasn't too bad getting to the Motorway and then to the Cotswolds.

Once we took the train to Oxford and picked up a rental car there. It was a short taxi ride to the rental car office. It will depend where you end up staying, but the trains to Oxford are frequent (from Paddington) and the car rental place is on the outskirts so if you plan it right, you don't drive through Oxford. Plus you can drive for 30 mins and then stop in Burford, which is the first real Cotswold market town you come to and is fabulous with easy to find parking in a big lot (behind the church).

On several trips we stayed in Bath, then picked up a car there and drove up to the Cotswolds. In that direction your first stop could be the almost too charming Castle Coombe (where several movies have been filmed - I think that one about war horses and also Stardust). It might be an idea to have a few nights in Bath - such a beautiful place.

Thank you again! I think the first thing I need to do is figure out how long this vacation will be, and when we'll come. July, August and September are all wide open for us, and we'll stay as long as the money holds out! (That's the real challenge!) I'm guessing most vacation rentals in the Cotswolds will be for one week, Sat-Sat, correct?

Frank and I must have been following instructions from Pauline, because we also took the train to Oxford, then a taxi to the outskirts of town where we picked up our rental car and made our way to our first stop in Burford!

I don't have any claim to being a Cotswold expert, but I have visited the area a number of times and believe that there is no way not to love it. Chipping Campden is probably my favorite village, but Bibury, Burford, the Slaughters, Stow--all are beautiful. And when you can't stand another charming village, you can always spend some time at Blenheim and gorge on excess and visit the pretty, if touristy, town of Woodstock, or you can head south to Bampton (if you're a Downton Abbey fan).

I do urge you to consider renting a car. There's just no other way to have the freedom or spontaneity a car offers. Think about it for at least part of your stay.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina