• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What is your favorite town/village in Spain?

Pauline

Forums Admin
Post on this thread with some information and photos of your favorite place in Spain. I thought this might be a fun exercise to make us think about the places we love. It will also be a help to travelers trying to decide where to go next. Tell us why you love this place.

There is no way I can choose ONE favorite place in Spain... so I'll just choose one of my favorite places.

Tarragona.

Tarragona is about an hour south of Barcelona and situated on the Mediterranean sea. People lived there hundreds of years before the Romans came and laid out the town in a pattern you can still see today. The Romans called it Tarraco. I see little bits of Rome all over Tarragona - in the streets, and the people. Tarragona is on a bluff overlooking the sea.

IMG_0550 (640x480).jpg

There is an impressive medieval cathedral in Tarragona as you can see above and also below.

TarragonaCathedral (640x480).jpg

There are numerous picturesque and quiet squares and cafes in which to enjoy them.

tarragonasquare (640x480).jpg

What I love more than anything though, is the sense of community in Tarragona. When you go out at night the cafes and restaurants are filled with locals from babies to well over 90 years. Like in Barcelona and other parts of Catalonia, the locals will all dance the Sardana dance together. It is a beautiful thing to see.

Sardana (640x480).jpg

There are also the castellers, "human towers." Building a castell is another Catalan tradition with a vibrant casteller community in Tarragona. You can read more about the castellers here. It is a thrilling thing, to be in a crowd of Tarragona locals watching the castellers.

castellers6 (480x640).jpg

Tarragona is a beautiful, vibrant and extraordinarily livable town. Just outside are several wine regions such as Montsant and Priorat, medieval hill towns and seaside villages, monasteries and natural wonders.

It is one of those places I would go back to time and time again, and will, next June.

OMG, this place looks fantatic. We toured Andalusia in the early 2000s and first stop was a rustic a rustic finca or farm just outside Orgiva in the lower Alpujurras. This is the area where Chris Stewrat's book Driving over Lemons takes place. Orgiva has become somehwat of area for alternative lifestyle folks. There are many so called hippie communes in the area. Although i don't think we saw any.
The countryside is beautiful. It is very accessible to the hilltop villages. but it is also a working town and big enough to accommodate the diversity of the local population as well as alternative lifesyles and immigration. There is also a large Muslim population adding to the richness of the culture.
I recommend staying in a finca and renting a car.
While I got this picture from the internet, it is how I remember the view.
The mountains right in your face.
orgiva-village.jpg

I read Driving over Lemons and liked it. I am always looking for the old hippie places in Europe. Orgiva looks great. Traveling in Andalusia is next on our list of new places.

Shannon, Tarragona looks great too. Thanks for posting about it.

For me it has to be Grazalema in the Sierra de Grazalema, Western Andalucia... When i came here more than 15 years ago it left an impact on me and always I returned to discover new little hidden corners that are well away from the tourist traps of Andalusia... Vultures overhead, orchids in the spring. Mountains that take your breath away and some of the best hiking routes in Europe... I have made this place my home now and working here is a gift... raising my children in a place where they are free to grow in a safe environment.... Car unlocked with the keys in the ignition.... It's not always perfect and has it's share of issues like everywhere. But, Grazalema will always have a hold on me...

grazalema2.jpg

la rana lupins view 02.JPG

lake and white village of Zahara.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I`m leaving since 2 years now in sunny Valencia. There's plenty to sate all appetites in Valencia – it's brimming with culture, has great bars and restaurants and beautiful stretches of beach to soak up the almost year-round rays.

In Valencia, thousands of people soak up the sun all year round at an outdoor bar or café, while having a few tapas and a glass of wine or cold beer. And at night… there are lots of different kinds of scene in the various nightlife areas, from the hotspots in the old town, to those by the sea or in the student areas. Also there are so many things to visit in Valencia

Last Christmas when we were staying in Barcelona we went back to Tarragonaand enjoyed it immensely, even though I had to sit on the floor on the train back (and met the funnest people).
I love it for all the reason that Shannon cited. And the Roman archeological site is getting better and better.
And first and foremost, I love the hilliness of the place and the winding streets, which means you never see the end of your street. Every corner is a surprise.
Plus the wonderful restaurant, Almosta. Great value. Another recommendation by Guru Shannon.

Another village I like very much is Cadaguès, but admittedly it belongs much more to the Mediterranean sophisticated community, like St Tropez and Mykonos, than to Spain or even to Catalonia. Just my take. Love Casa Dali, a must-visit, and the wonderful restaurant Compatir, spawned by the legendary El Bulli team.
And from there one can make a user-friendly day-trip to the lovely towns of Collioure and Céret on the French side. And that whole coastline is a beautiful drive.

Well, an easier task would be to list one's least favourite towns (anywhere between Marbella and Malaga!) . No arguments from me with earlier posts. Here are a few others that we've enjoyed.
Aguamarga: Just inside the Cabo de Gata park boundary one can explore the area yet be away from the mayhem that usually accompanies Med resort areas. The beach and shallow, placid water are made for small children.
A (12).jpg

Albarracin: In Teruel province, this town was rebuilt after the Civil War to conform to its ancient origins. Nearby are prehistoric rock paintings. The local baker boasts he makes "the best bread in all of Spain"
n Albarracin (05).jpg

n Albarracin (15).jpg

Salamanca: Not a town but a bustling city with a great historic university and what some say is the finestplaza mayor in Spain
A (022).JPG

Finally, one town that is a somber reminder of the devastation visited on towns, villages and cities across Spain during the Civil War.
Belchite:
k Belchite (19).jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina