• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What sets Le Marche apart from other Italian regions?

Andrea_Stellato

I'm an avid traveler and originally from the Marche region. I would be very interested to hear about your personal experiences: what struck you as unique and special about Le Marche that you haven't found anywhere else in Italy? Your insights could enrich my perspective on the land I come from.

We visited several years ago and my memory is of pretty hilltop villages and lots of green open spaces and parks. Few tourists, too…

@Andrea_Stellato - hello and welcome here!

I was hoping that more forum members might chip in, as you've posed an interesting question. Sorry I can't contribute, as I have not travelled much in Italy, and when we do go, we mostly return to Piemonte. My Italian is also not good enough to seriously engage in a conversation with Italians.

I know there are regional differences because our hosts, and small producers that we meet, sometimes mention them. There is of course rivalry and humor about this - I was made aware of this both through the song "Genova per noi", and also when talking with disgruntled sellers in weekly markets that come from another region and complain about the locals.

If you meant only geographical differences, then I could only say that we find Italy's landscapes stunning wherever we go. I am sure that if we had picked Umbria for our first trip to Italy instead of Piemonte, then it would have been the place that we fell in love with and want to return to. We have also encountered amazing hospitality everywhere, not only from our hosts, but from complete strangers that are willing to go out of their way to help you. I am also very impressed by the fact that there is still much small-scale agriculture that is viable, in all the places we have visited.

So perhaps you would be willing to give your perspective on this - how does the area of Le Marche and its residents differ from other regions? If you compare to Piemonte, this would certainly intrigue me personally. Thanks

Sadly it's also a region I've not experienced (along with Alto-Adige, Friuli-Venezia Giulia Lazio, Umbria, Sardinia, Molise, Abruzzo & Basilicata and Calabria).

Why? Originally it was logistically awkward for flights, and whilst that later changed, other locations got our focus, and like Joe, Piemonte has been such a joy, we've returned again and again to explore further. I suspect also the wines (whilst good & interesting, with Verdicchio finally getting some recognition) never had the draw that Piemonte or Campania has for us.

Also I hadn't replied because it was a difficult question. So, similar to Umbria and Tuscany in the sense of central Italy, countryside, hilltop towns and villages. Differs from the other two in that there are very few foreign visitors. I suppose I could say it's a place of hidden gems. Urbino, Jesi, Osimo, Fermo, Loreto for example

@Andrea_Stellato - hello and welcome here!

I was hoping that more forum members might chip in, as you've posed an interesting question. Sorry I can't contribute, as I have not travelled much in Italy, and when we do go, we mostly return to Piemonte. My Italian is also not good enough to seriously engage in a conversation with Italians.

I know there are regional differences because our hosts, and small producers that we meet, sometimes mention them. There is of course rivalry and humor about this - I was made aware of this both through the song "Genova per noi", and also when talking with disgruntled sellers in weekly markets that come from another region and complain about the locals.

If you meant only geographical differences, then I could only say that we find Italy's landscapes stunning wherever we go. I am sure that if we had picked Umbria for our first trip to Italy instead of Piemonte, then it would have been the place that we fell in love with and want to return to. We have also encountered amazing hospitality everywhere, not only from our hosts, but from complete strangers that are willing to go out of their way to help you. I am also very impressed by the fact that there is still much small-scale agriculture that is viable, in all the places we have visited.

So perhaps you would be willing to give your perspective on this - how does the area of Le Marche and its residents differ from other regions? If you compare to Piemonte, this would certainly intrigue me personally. Thanks
Joe, I hesitate to influence the views of future contributors to this discussion, but it's worth noting that Marchigiani are often perceived as more reserved and guarded compared to residents of other Italian regions, particularly those in the South. While it's challenging to make sweeping generalizations, I believe there's some truth to this. This cautious demeanor likely has historical roots, influenced by the region's topography of isolated hilltop villages. However, once you've earned their trust, the people of Marche exhibit a deep sense of hospitality and a genuine willingness to make outsiders feel welcome, matched by an enduring loyalty.

Joe, I hesitate to influence the views of future contributors to this discussion, but it's worth noting that Marchigiani are often perceived as more reserved and guarded compared to residents of other Italian regions, particularly those in the South. While it's challenging to make sweeping generalizations, I believe there's some truth to this. This cautious demeanor likely has historical roots, influenced by the region's topography of isolated hilltop villages. However, once you've earned their trust, the people of Marche exhibit a deep sense of hospitality and a genuine willingness to make outsiders feel welcome, matched by an enduring loyalty.
Coincidentally, that rather matches how Piemonte is viewed :)

Hospitality, away from the touristy places, is very much something that I think is common across the diverse regions of Italy. It's something very special.

Loreto! Urbino! lovely
we were in Urbino just in time to celebrate a mayoral election..lol..lots of pasta, grilled meats, wines, big party in the square..We were embraced by the winning candidate. great memory

The landscape: our farms in Le Marche are still largely composed by fields of cereals, alfalfa and other crops with small vineyards, maybe some small orchards or olive groves and lots of woods (there's a law in Le Marche that protects many varieties of trees). This is often not the case in other regions where some crops (vines, olive trees, corn, wheat) are produced on larger scale.

Le Marche seems more spread out and vast than other regions. I like the space, especially the beauty of the farms and fields. Few and far between is one way I might describe it. The people are lovely!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina