• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where in Wales?

sharonov

10+ Posts
I haven't been to Wales since 1969. I'm visiting friends in London in May, and will have some time free to travel around--I've spent a lot of time in England and Scotland, but would like to revisit Wales. I could sign up for a whirlwind Rabbies tour, but would like some suggestions of other ways to go. I like little chocolate box villages and castles, of which Wales has many. The problem is that I don't feel comfortable driving on the "wrong" side, and now that I'm over 80 might not even be able to rent a car anyway. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve only been to Wales once recently but I loved the area we went to - Pembrokeshire in the south west corner, on the coast. If you stay in St David’s there is a local bus that takes you out to the different towns and beaches. No trains there. But I’m not sure this gives you enough villages.

Here is my trip report.

One of the problems is that Wales and 'chocolate box villages' don’t really go together...although there are lots of castles!

Your main problem will be public transport as this will limit what you can do .

Some ideas to get you started...

Cardiff would be a possible. Not only does it have an impressive castle, there is also the wonderful Castlell Coch on the edge of the city and reachable by bus. With its turrets this is everyone’s dream of a fairy tale castle. Just a short train ride is Caerphilly Castle, one of the great ruined medieval castles

These would make three very different visits.

Also a short bus ride from Cardiff is St Fagan’s National Museum of History. Old buildings from across Wales have been moved and rebuilt here. It is a real step back into the past. There is so much to see, you could easily spend a full day here.

Pembrokeshire is wonderful but one problem is many areas have poor public transport. Tenby is a very popular holiday resort which has a station. It has the scant remains of a ruined castle as well as town walls. Caldey Island is just a short boat trip away.

North Wales - think about Conwy or Llandudno. Both are on the railway. They are only a few miles apart and there is an excellent bus service between them. LLandudno has more choice of accommodation.

Conwy is an attractive walled medieval town still with its original street layout, with a ruined castle as well as Plas Mawr, which is described as one of the best Elizabethan Town Houses in the country.

Llandudno is a Victorian sea side town with pier, long sandy beach with a promenade and an old fashioned Punch and Judy show. It also has the Victorian Tramway to the top of the Great Orme
or take the vintage bus ride along the Marine Drive and to the top of the Great Orme.

There is also a regular bus service to Caernarfon (see #6 & 7 with its ruined Castle.

Betws y Coed is a very pretty village just a few miles up the Conwy valley from Conwy and can be reached either bus or train.

One of the problems is that Wales and 'chocolate box villages' don’t really go together...although there are lots of castles!

Your main problem will be public transport as this will limit what you can do .

Some ideas to get you started...

Cardiff would be a possible. Not only does it have an impressive castle, there is also the wonderful Castlell Coch on the edge of the city and reachable by bus. With its turrets this is everyone’s dream of a fairy tale castle. Just a short train ride is Caerphilly Castle, one of the great ruined medieval castles

These would make three very different visits.

Also a short bus ride from Cardiff is St Fagan’s National Museum of History. Old buildings from across Wales have been moved and rebuilt here. It is a real step back into the past. There is so much to see, you could easily spend a full day here.

Pembrokeshire is wonderful but one problem is many areas have poor public transport. Tenby is a very popular holiday resort which has a station. It has the scant remains of a ruined castle as well as town walls. Caldey Island is just a short boat trip away.

North Wales - think about Conwy or Llandudno. Both are on the railway. They are only a few miles apart and there is an excellent bus service between them. LLandudno has more choice of accommodation.

Conwy is an attractive walled medieval town still with its original street layout, with a ruined castle as well as Plas Mawr, which is described as one of the best Elizabethan Town Houses in the country.

Llandudno is a Victorian sea side town with pier, long sandy beach with a promenade and an old fashioned Punch and Judy show. It also has the Victorian Tramway to the top of the Great Orme
or take the vintage bus ride along the Marine Drive and to the top of the Great Orme.

There is also a regular bus service to Caernarfon (see #6 & 7 with its ruined Castle.

Betws y Coed is a very pretty village just a few miles up the Conwy valley from Conwy and can be reached either bus or train.
Thank you so much, Eleanor! Your post, as usual, is extremely helpful. I'd really rather not take a 5 day Rabbies tour like one friend suggested. Basing in one city and doing day trips is always the best.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina