• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

where should we rent a car for Tuscany

colette123

10+ Posts
We will be going to Italy in may, Rome for the first five days of our trip, then heading out to Tuscany, where we have an apartment booked in Lucca, for nine days. I was wondering which town would be best to rent a car to do the Tuscany portion. (will not have or need one in Rome)I was thinking of taking the train from Rome to Chiusi, and picking up a car rental there. Is this a good idea? or any other suggestions?

Picking up in Chiusi is good for southern Tuscany, but you may want to get the car in Lucca. It would be over an hour to drive to Lucca. Since you are staying in town you could take the train there and pickup the car a few days after you arrive. Check AutoEurope to see if they offer offices in Lucca or somewhere close by.

Picking up in Chiusi is good for southern Tuscany, but you may want to get the car in Lucca. It would be over an hour to drive to Lucca. Since you are staying in town you could take the train there and pickup the car a few days after you arrive. Check AutoEurope to see if they offer offices in Lucca or somewhere close by.
thanks Pauline! I will definitely look into this!

Not sure where in Lucca your apartment is, but the Europcar office in Lucca is just outside the wall, a few minute walk from Porta Elisa. We have booked through AutoEurope and everything went very smoothly.

Not sure where in Lucca your apartment is, but the Europcar office in Lucca is just outside the wall, a few minute walk from Porta Elisa. We have booked through AutoEurope and everything went very smoothly.
thank you Penn! Our apartment is ten minutes by foot to the historical center (on Via Tofanelli if that helps) Is there more than one Europcar office in Lucca?

Looks like your apartment is just behind the train station. It would be an easy 2.2km walk around the outside of the wall to the Europcar office on Via Castruccio Castracani. As far as I know that is the only Europcar office in Lucca. Have not rented from other companies in Lucca so no clue where their offices may be.

Looks like your apartment is just behind the train station. It would be an easy 2.2km walk around the outside of the wall to the Europcar office on Via Castruccio Castracani. As far as I know that is the only Europcar office in Lucca. Have not rented from other companies in Lucca so no clue where their offices may be.
thanks again, this helps a lot!

We’ve rented several times from that office and it’s always been easy. Even did it last minute for visiting friends. They speak English in case you’re worried about that.

Renting the car in Lucca seems best to me, too. Depending on your budget, you may not need the car the entire time--for example, you'll want to spend some time in Lucca itself, where a car is completely unnecessary, and if you go to Florence, take the train. Of course, the downside is that you will lose some flexibility to make impromptu decisions based on the weather. If you want to head to the coast, both Lerici and Tellaro are lovely--think Cinque Terre without the crowds. Drives up through the Lunigiana or the Garfagnana (or both!) are also beautiful day trips into the mountains. Nine days based in Lucca sounds wonderful after Rome.

Renting the car in Lucca seems best to me, too. Depending on your budget, you may not need the car the entire time--for example, you'll want to spend some time in Lucca itself, where a car is completely unnecessary, and if you go to Florence, take the train. Of course, the downside is that you will lose some flexibility to make impromptu decisions based on the weather. If you want to head to the coast, both Lerici and Tellaro are lovely--think Cinque Terre without the crowds. Drives up through the Lunigiana or the Garfagnana (or both!) are also beautiful day trips into the mountains. Nine days based in Lucca sounds wonderful after Rome.
thank you Lisa! Yes, I think we will just explore Lucca and do Florence by train the first three days, then rent a car for about 5 days, to be able to drive out further and see more of Tuscany.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina